Would you want to know when you're dying?

Discussion in 'Train of Thought' started by Rainbow Deluxe, May 6, 2009.

1. Rainbow Deluxe Duchess of All Things Pretty and Music

We all know we die. No matter how it is, it's the only thing that's guaranteed in life. My question is, would you want to know when you die?

For me, I want to know. I want to know the time, the place, the date, and even what I would be wearing, just so that I'd prepare myself. I'd be able to prepare myself for what's going to happen, and make sure I set everything straight with those in my life, and I'd make sure everyone who I loved knew it. I probably wouldn't be so scared of death if I could prepare for it. But after having a near-death experience and not dying, it kind of scares me with not knowing.

Your answer?
  2. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

Yep, I would. I think it would be helpful to me. I see death as something coming at some indeterminate point in the future, always tomorrow, always tomorrow. Maybe if I knew precisely when I was going to die I could stop that mentality, and use it to help motivate me.
  3. Venom Well-Known Member

No, because it wouldn't change anything. It's not like I'm sitting here with a list of things to do before I die. I'd rather just keep living, oblivious to my demise. It's more fun that way.
  4. Nazo Moderator

Yes an no. Yes for if it's by something like an accident, I can think about EVERYTHING I do up until that point to possibly figure out a way to avoid it. Death by accident is avoidable... so long as you're not one of those believing is destiny. And if it's not completely avoidable, well at least I seen it coming and can my my final words something worth while. (FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!)

No, because if it's something completely unavoidable, I just don't want something else bothering me. I'm already paranoid about every fucking thing in the world, why give me something else to wonder about...? :\
  5. akugi touch the sky

i wouldn't want to know. not because i don't want to fuck with fate, or anything of that nature, but i want my life to be an adventure. knowing the end before even beginning seems pointless to me.
  6. Kyuuketsuki C-c-c-c-combo breaker!

In short, no. I wouldn't want to know when I am going to die. I would be in constant worry. I'm already as messed up as it is. xD
  7. Rainbow Deluxe Duchess of All Things Pretty and Music

You three have brought up a point that I forgot to make. I'm currently paranoid that everything is going to kill me. I go to a gas station, profile a few people there, and I immediately start to envision myself getting shot and dying. I see myself falling backwards going up rather steep staircases all the time. I've even envisioned myself getting ran over in the middle of the street.

All those reasons are exactly why I want to know when I will die, because I don't like having the constant worry. I know that it seems weird, but I want to know so that I can relax and know that it isn't something else.
  8. Venom Well-Known Member

Wouldn't knowing bring up a whole new set of worries though? I mean like, not getting everything done, who you'll leave behind, how it's going to happen (if it turns out to be unpleasant), and things like that.

Not that you don't make a valid point, but as it is now it seems to me you'd end up exchanging your current worries for new ones, unless those things don't worry you.
  9. PKT Forever /a/lone

I guess I'd go with not knowing. I pretty much live my life thining I'm going to die soon anyways.
  10. Nazo Moderator

This.
  11. Rainbow Deluxe Duchess of All Things Pretty and Music

Honestly, those things really don't matter much to me. The only things left in my life that I want to accomplish are becoming a teacher, getting married, and making a difference in someone's life. Those are my three top goals. Everything else isn't really a necessity for me to do before I die, but a want. So that takes care of that worry.

Who I leave behind also doesn't worry me too much because everyone I know and care for know this, because I don't refrain from being open with at least those feelings towards anyone. If I meet more people, then they'll know as well.

And if I die because of something horrendous, well, at least I'll know what's going to happen and I can do as much research on the act in order to brace myself for the impact.

Quite sad that I've actually thought all of this out, huh? >>

But yeah, I can usually brace myself for how something ends up as long as I know what it is. But it's usually the things that surprise me that ruin me. :/
  12. Venom Well-Known Member

Actually, it's not sad. There's people in their 60s and 70s that have no plans regarding their death, and yet you were able to contradict everything I brought up without leaving room for me to poke holes in it. You're certainly more prepared for the unexpected more than anyone I know.
  13. Tentei No Mai Bitch Pudding!

I'm sort of not sure if I'd want to know or not. I mean, if I can avoid death (y'know, if I die in an accident or something COMPLETELY preventable) who's to say that I wouldn't be directly responsible for someone else's death in the process or that I'd just be making it tougher on myself Final Destination style. So, knowing the specifics about it is even more troublesome than not knowing. At least, to me. Besides, I'm not overly concerned about death. I mean, it's scary, but it's bound to happen sometime, which is why I try to live life with no regrets and full of happiness.

Also, I can sort of relate to Nekoko-chan in one certain matter...when I go to public places and see things that are seemingly out of place (trenchcoat guy in 100 degree weather at the local park) I'd think "Okay, my death flag is probably fidgeting, so wtf do I about it!?" and I know there were a few times that I actually panicked because I had my little cousin with me or someone I wouldn't want to get caught in a crossfire. So, maybe knowing when death is going to start a-knockin' could be useful.
  14. Rainbow Deluxe Duchess of All Things Pretty and Music

See? Knowing could put your mind at ease at least for a little while. You'd be able to know that the lockdown about to be happening isn't going to be your demise. Or something to that mentality, anyway.