What're your beliefs regarding god?

Discussion in 'Train of Thought' started by Legend Saber, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

As of now, I'm probably best described as an atheist. Science seems to have the best answers for everything, and that which it can't explain is no better explained by religion.

Even if I were to believe in a god, it would be impossible to decide which, considering the multitude of belief systems out there. Hell, even if I subscribed totally to something like Christianity, there's no way to decide which denomination to join. There are thousands of them, sometimes with conflicting or wholly contradictory precepts. And ultimately all of them are just as baseless as the last, considering god in any concrete form refuses to enlighten them.

As it stands, even if a god does exist there's no way to find out who they might be. And considering the grand scale of the Universe in comparison to our unbelievably tiny world, I doubt that a god would see anything particularly important or special about human life. Especially in light of the blind, violent processes involved in evolution. It seems obvious that god, in whatever form they may take, doesn't give a snot about animals or us.

And because of that, for all intents and purposes no god exists. The only alternatives might be deism and Unitarianism (the former of which I once subscribed to), but even those aren't entirely satisfactory, and change nothing from a practical standpoint. Of course I'd be willing to alter my beliefs if proper evidence was forthcoming, but as is stands the only evidence for god is the absence of evidence from science. That just isn't good enough for me. It's the basis with which god was formed, and it's the basis with which god will die.

What are your religious beliefs?
  2. Overdose Delusion So strange what love does.

I'd say at the present moment, I consider myself agnostic moreso than anything else. I simply don't feel that I can say for sure whether God exists or not; in my opinion, either possibility is as likely as the other.

I like to study religions in my spare time so that hopefully in the future, I can become more well-informed regarding such matters and possibly have a more definite opinion on the existence of God. Not only that, but I find studying religions and philosophies to be fascinating, enjoyable, informative, and it helps make you into a more educated and well-rounded person in general.
  3. Rainbow Deluxe Duchess of All Things Pretty and Music

I have to say that my response is pretty much the same as Paige's. I believe myself to be agnostic mainly for the reason that I can't decide whether or not an actual God exists, and until there's proof that he does or doesn't, I'll withhold my judgment.

Here and there I'll make comments like "Oh, God doesn't exist" and things related to that nature, but in the end, I just don't know. I've also gone on many disputes with a few people on this topic before, and last night, I kind of came up with a good explanation for some of the reasons Christians do believe in a God:

Other than the history books we have and a few torn documents, how do we know for a fact that things happened in the 12th century? How do we know that the black plague was real? Did any of us live in it or during it? The only thing we can actually rely on to telling us the truth is history books and just believe what they say. But then again, in some places in Germany, their text books say that Germany won WWII and that the USA was the bad country. So how do we know what's in the history books is real? I guess we just have to believe it happened, right? Well, that's how some people feel for God. They can't prove he's real, and the only actual proof is the bible.

Yes, I do know that this can be taken apart and interpreted in the other direction for proving that God doesn't exist because the only proof IS the bible, but I thought it was a good analogy. -shrug-

tl;dr: I'm agnostic.
  4. Tentei No Mai Bitch Pudding!

Oy, my beliefs, eh? Hmmm...that's something I've always thought about ever since I was a child, so it's not something I can just answer in a matter-of-fact fashion. Still, I'll try...hopefully this won't turn into a rant or wall of tl;dr or anything like that. I'm going to make this...short, but as non-offensive as possible. After all, I'm all for variety.

My household is what I would consider...open-minded, but only in one direction. What that means is...we were always free to believe what we want in terms of religion as long as we believed in SOMETHING (atheism is just a no-no in my household and family, but I'm still somewhat lucky). On my mother's side...basically, they're Catholics, though my maternal grandfather was Baptist then Muslim then Baptist again which just confused the hell out of my mother which is probably why we only attended church for my granna's sake >_>;. My father on the other hand...they are all Baptists and the majority of them suck since they're ignorant, dimwitted morons with a racist-y edge -__o;. Why am I telling you guys all of this? Easy, it's because I haven't really had the chance to establish a religious identity since we just learned the basics of Christianity and general morals. I mean, for myself, I couldn't really believe that a God...deity, or whatever didn't exist and that religion as a whole must stem from some kind of truth (kind of like with rumors and stereotypes-99 percent tends to be false or exaggerated, but that remaining one percent is totally truth material), but at the same time I just knew that an all-loving, all-powerful, and all-knowing God just could not possibly exist. Christianity just isn't for me to put it plain and simply.

For the most part, I don't talk about religion with my family (or rather Christianity) since I don't think most of them really gave it a second thought, so I haven't really had many opportunities to develop my beliefs properly. I mean, I've done the research on most religions and talked to a variety of people about it, but I still can't decide for myself which religion fits in with my personal beliefs. Maybe I'm simply theist? I'm not really a church goer though I DO attend my comrade's church every now and then. I tend to pray when things get really bad, but that's out of habit (but it does help a little). At one point I wanted to give Shinto and Buddhism a solid try, however...that didn't quite work out. Someday, I know I'll find my answer, so I'll just keep working on it.
  5. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

I actually used to be an agnostic myself, but ultimately I don't think the "no proof he doesn't exist" argument holds any water. I mean, from an absolute standpoint it does, but the problem there is that none of us live in an absolute world. When it comes down to it, there's only one, one absolute thing we can be certain of: our own existence. Cogito, ergo sum. But because of that, we live in a world of reasonable doubt.

And ultimately, the burden of proof seems to lie on the religious. Mainly, it's impossible to disprove a negative to begin with. In fact, you can get into some pretty absurd territory fairly quickly when it comes to that. Stuff like the invisible pink unicorn, the "Dragon In My Garage" and Russell's teapot. There just has to be a point where one says, "Screw it. God doesn't exist until someone can show me he does. Period." But strangely, it often seems like god gets a free pass in this department.

Personally, I feel that once you get to the point where you're saying "I don't know" about God, you've exited reasonable doubt and entered a train of thought where you might as well be doubting the entire existence of everything and nothing simultaneously while assuming everything you've ever learned or will learn may or may not be true or false or both at once. It's like this crazy world where, yeah, you can't be certain whether or not god exists. But at the same time, you can't be certain about anything else either.

Not directed at you personally, btw, just used your quote as an excuse to share my thoughts on general agnosticism. Feel free to reply if you'd like, though. ^^

Man, I'd hate that. Though I suppose I was a deist for a while, which would be enough to convince most that I believed in something. It's basically atheism with a god posted on, as contradictory as that seems. xD
  6. Rainbow Deluxe Duchess of All Things Pretty and Music

Honestly, I think this is where my brain is at right now and probably why half of today I've spent researching events and dates in time that actually prove that that event actually happened. I'm beginning to doubt a lot of things, which is how I got that train of thought in my earlier post.

I do, however, still wish to withhold my judgment. Whether or not it ever is proven that God exists or not doesn't exactly matter, but I'm not too sure I also want to rely on believing that an ethereal being is over my head, watching everything I do and controlling what happens (minus free will) because that just doesn't seem plausible to me. It might be the only thing that keeps people holding onto God, but it raises so many questions for me to not believe that he exists, but at the same time, I don't want to say I don't believe in him either because a small figment of my mind tells me that I should just trust.

I'm a very confused individual, lol.
    1 people like this.
  7. PKT Forever /a/lone

I believe in God but I'm not sure what to do about it. There's just somethings which aren't the same for me as other. I don't believe any answer can be as simple as just do as I say or yes or no. I believe that there has either got to some reasoning behind things or I'm just not sure.
  8. HuneyTheBun New Member

My belief regarding God is that it really doesn't matter at this point in my life. I've managed thus far without the need for some form of religious belief or any kind of spiritual fulfillment and I plan on keeping it that way. If I'm meant to be religious or have a belief in God then I believe it has to come on strong, something must happen to change it. I'm not going to wake up tomorrow and decide I believe in Him.