What purpose have you given your life?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussions' started by Legend Saber, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

If any.

Right now, the purpose I've found for myself is simple: seek fulfillment and contentment, whatever way I can. It's vague, but suitable, and all I could come up with once I started to seriously ponder what I wanted to dedicate my life to.

Now all I have to do is find out what actions will make me feel fulfilled and contented, what don't, and what I can do within my power that can bring those two things as close to me as possible. Then I have to do it. I doubt I'll ever be totally contented or totally fulfilled, but that's the beauty of it: life is a journey, it's most satisfying when you enjoy the constant struggle itself of wanting more.

Any time I feel regret, that's a red flag that there's something I need to be doing that. Even if it's something simple, like chatting with a cute girl at the bus stop today. Who, incidentally, seemed to be kind of baked and randomly offered me a sandwich. Which ... would actually make a lot of sense, now that I think of it. 4/20 and all. Anyway, that's kind of off topic.

Purpose. Life.

What's yours?
  2. Zackapple Express khdahahfdiahkai fka

Become as successful as possible, doing so honestly and rightfully. I never thought doing that would be so hard, lol..

Also, to raise one hell of a family. I mean one HELL of a family. =)
  3. Rainbow Deluxe Duchess of All Things Pretty and Music

For the longest time, my purpose in life was to make a difference in someone else's. Good, bad, whatever, I didn't care, as long as I knew that if I ever left them, they would always think of me, remember me, no matter how many years would pass us by.

However, and though that is still part of my purpose in life (totally why I want to be a teacher), I've also made it more about myself. I want to be happy with myself, love myself. I want to be able to see the good qualities that others praise me for. I want to be able to see the bad ones that others mock me for, and try to change them. Not to make them happy, but because I don't want to dwell on them. By changing myself to being a better me, a happier me, a me that loves herself, it means that I'll be able to laugh at myself with others, because the more you embrace yourself, the more you know your flaws are what make you, well, you.

And I know no one's going to be the perfect person. I know someone is going to always dislike me for some stupid reason or another, but I want to be able to reach the point where I won't care. I won't care if someone berates me for being too nice, too friendly, too peppy, too energetic. I won't care if someone tells me that they think I'm not what I seem, and that I have ulterior motives for what I do. I won't care if someone does nothing but messes with me emotionally and mentally, possibly even physically. Because to love myself means that I'll be able to be above those that just want to bring me down.
  4. Venom Well-Known Member

Right now, it's to make something of myself. I've been working dead end jobs for 6 or so years now, knowing full well that I'll never make any money to support myself or ever have a chance to become something better. I've decided in order to fulfill this I need to go back to school to major in something that interests me, so I can make money and possibly enjoy what I do as well. Romance has taken a backseat to everything due to my impending divorce, but I'm going with the mindset that if I meet someone on my way to where I want to be, that's great, if not, I'll start looking after I graduate.
  5. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

This is a brilliant mindset to take. I think there are two very important things one always has to keep in mind when it comes to life.

1) You can't ever change the past. Ever. However, all actions you take in the future are under your total control.

2) It's not a matter of whether things are going to get fucked up sometimes. They will. What matters is learning how to deal with it, move on with it, and get back up stronger than before.

Sometimes, I think the whole of life is just a perpetual search for the things that will make us feel fulfilled and satisfied. Nothing wrong with that though.
  6. Tentei No Mai Bitch Pudding!

...Everyone sounds so enlightened ;___;. I don't really think I can offer any good insight or sound cool, but true feelings aren't always flashy and poetic, I think.

I find myself to be a bit shallow when it comes to that particular question, because ever since the child the only thing I've truly expected from myself was to "live properly", whatever the hell that meant. Now, it seems to be to make no regrets, never fall into a vicious cycle of rumination and hating myself, and to do right by those that matter to me even if everyone else is like "omg, mai, y u doin' that for!!1?!". So far, so good, I think. I'm constantly aware that at any moment the happiness I might be feeling will be torn a part by life's recklessness, but I don't want to cower from such realities or to be tormented by what ifs just because I decided against my heart and went for the more logical route (or vice versa).

Even if I do my best to be there for others there will always be (and have been-quite recently, in fact) people to whom I've trusted will cause me great harm despite my caring, but I want to be able to still have faith in others even if it might be easier to become a social recluse. I don't want to be unreasonable nor do I want to be weak-willed. So, taking the things I want and don't want for myself to forge my own trail in life...I think that's my purpose. To help, even if I might cause someone pain, and to be strong, even if all I want to do is collapse and stop thinking. I think that's what I'm getting at.
  7. PropMaster Smurfly

I used to think that life was all about being happy. But when my mother passed away a year ago my perception has really changed. I really think my purpose has changed from being happy to what would my mom want. I truly live my life thinking about what my mom would want me to do..
  8. Nazo Moderator

Living life is to live your life. Not another persons. No matter if it's a family or a friend, you should never live their life for them. In fact, if I was unable to live the way I wanted, I wouldn't want someone to do it for me. Really it's kinda insulting to me. What your mom would want you to do is be happy and live the way you want.
  9. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

He's not really living another person's life though, he's living his life the way he feels someone dear to him may have wanted him to live it. It might make him feel more satisfied and fulfilled to strive to be the idealized person perhaps his parents wanted him to be.

Course, you have to live life the way you want to, but we're still all socially connected. Other people influence us and we influence them. This happens with almost everyone, all the time.
  10. PropMaster Smurfly

I think I have always lived my life the way my mother wanted me to. I strive to make make her happy / proud. Now that she is no longer here I question everything I do with "What would she want me to do." This is me, what I want to do, who I am. This is my life and I am living it as I want to.

:)
  11. Tentei No Mai Bitch Pudding!

I still think to myself "what would my granna think" when I make an important decision, but in the end it's your choice to follow through with whatever you're thinking, even if your thinking process is being influenced by someone else. I don't think it's wrong to live for yourself, but I also don't think it's wrong to live for the sake of someone else (or in this case, abiding by what that person would want for you) because when you really get down to it...you have to do what is right for yourself (just as long as no one else is getting harmed! don't kill just because Uncle Thurgood would want you to!). Well, that's my two cents anyway! I'm not exactly a deep and complex character, but yeah.
  12. Carlo Marx Sunflower Sutra

I have gone through a lot of philosophical changes when it comes to this subject recently. I find myself progressing down a path of anti materialistic and anti capitalistic philosophies and I am started to just really hate money and our current cash based society. I however do not want to live a hermetic lifestyle, so stuck within society I am. I will probably end up teaching English at a high school level until I make it with my art, or die. My goal in life is to make some sort of artistic impact with either my music or writing.
  13. kristina77 New Member

We are not on this earth for long and for some reason as we get older time seems to go by pretty quickly, I mean didn't we just celebrate New Year's?? Time is just flying! We should all try our best to do what we want NOW, not wait for tomorrow or the week after or next year. I try my best to do as much as I can to better myself, to work for what I want, help others, make those people around me happy and keep myself happy. My mom will not be with me for long, the fact is that she is getting older, I want to make sure as long as she is still with me she knows and feels how much I love her and appreciate everything she has done for me. I also have the most wonderful and thoughtful boyfriend in the world, I never knew or understood what love was until I met him, he has made me happier then I ever thought possible and each day that passes by I am thankful I found him, my purpose is to make him happy and keep a happy and loving home. I have been lucky enough to find a job that pays well and allows me to help others and make a difference... Now, my new 'purpose' is to save enough money for my honey and I to take a NIIIICE vacation =)