What do you think of Safe Haven laws?

Discussion in 'Train of Thought' started by Legend Saber, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

In general, a Safe Haven law gives any parent the right to abandon their newborn child (or in Nebraska, any child under 18) at a hospital or police station, no questions asked. It's intended purpose is to aid parents that are unable or unwilling to care for their newborn child, and prevent them from abandoning or mistreating them out of an unwillingness or inability to care for them.

I think that, for the most part, this is a good thing. If a child is going to be mistreated or abandoned anyway, it's better that the child be dumped at a hospital or police station than in a forest or river. A lot of these babies are born to teens and impoverished families that know they can't care for them, and it's a pity that just a little responsibility or restraint could stop these cases, but I still think giving the baby a decent chance at life once born is a good thing. Certainly better than the alternative.

Some links:
    Safe haven law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Neb. Law Lets Parents Dump Kids Of Any Age, Controversial Measure Allows Them To Leave Kids Under 18, Not Just Infants, At Hospitals, Firehouses, Police Stations - CBS News

What're your thoughts?
  2. Tentei No Mai Bitch Pudding!

Oy, I have nothing against such laws since it truly is better for the child to be placed into proper care instead of being abandoned in the wilderness to die. Still, it's irritating to think that a loser parent(s) can get away with such an irresponsible act and probably feel little to no remorse over it. I mean, if you didn't want the child (and things like "it's against my religion" or " I just don't like paying money for birth control" are pathetic excuses) then the best option would've been to abort the poor soul while it has yet to become a hefty fetus.

Of course, that's just one way of looking at it. If the parent(s) cannot properly care for the child anymore and there is no other way of going about it...I could try to understand. Sure, that particular law would make it easier to give the child up while minimizing the shame (at least some what. it's easier to do "taboo" acts if you won't get questioned for it). What's done is done, so giving the child a good chance at life is for the best.

Or something.
  3. Namakubi Someday, one day, who knows? Someday I suppose...

I am super pro safe haven laws. Better than the kid ending up in a dumpster.
  4. PKT Forever /a/lone

A lot of my friends were adopted and they didn't turn out too bad. I'd rather see a kid raised by their parents first.
  5. Overdose Delusion So strange what love does.

I think this is a good thing as it helps reduce the number of infants abandoned and left to die. It also provides a simple, anonymous way for a mother to give her child up for adoption instead of having to go through a long, complicated procedure, which, depending on the mother's circumstances, may not always be possible or reasonable.
  6. PKT Forever /a/lone

I also have a half-brother who was put up for adoption by his mother. Although I wish I could have met him there's something which there's no changing since it wasn't my choice.
  7. HuneyTheBun New Member

Its a bad thing because its abused, of course. Then again so are many things in life and the solution isn't to remove said things from existence. We keep it because it makes sense and its a good idea regardless.