Victimless Crimes

Discussion in 'Train of Thought' started by Legend Saber, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

What's your opinion on victimless crimes? By this I mean things such as prostitution, drug use, etc., in which there's no clear 'victim' in an act that is otherwise illegal.

For me, I'm totally against virtually all forms of victimless crime. I think it's absolutely absurd that someone can be thrown in jail for a sociomedical problem such as drug use, for example. I also find it unbelievable that two consenting adults are unable to partake in sexual services for money. That makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Other minor things, such as being forced to wear a seat belt/helmet when driving a car/motorcycle I find equally silly. So long as the person is a functional adult he should be made to suffer the direct consequences of his actions (i.e., get severely injured if he crashes when not wearing a helmet/seatbelt). Not put into jail or fined because of something which doesn't have the potential to hurt anyone else anyhow.

I hope that in 50-60 years all victimless crimes are completely abolished. There's absolutely no need for them whatsoever.
  2. Nazo Moderator

Concerning drugs; Drug wars - They have victims.

Prostitution... Fuck if I know... Maybe they don't want the world full of AIDS. >_>
  3. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

There isn't any reason for it at all. The only reason they're illegal is because society thinks they should be illegal. It's bullshit.

The only people hurt by taking drugs are the drug users. More people are probably killed by tobacco every year than by every single illegal drug on the planet combined. And if you look at marijuana, it's only been listed as the cause of death in 37 cases (and even then only as a secondary or tertiary cause, never the primary) in the last 25 years.

Prostitution is another thing that's illegal for no reason other than society at-large doesn't like it. It's bullshit.
  4. Nazo Moderator

Society is full of cruelty and the un-cruel.

We want our society to seem like a good one, thus we put laws on things, such as drugs and prostitution to keep that so-called "good". To most; There is a victim to them both.

Prostitution; The women sometimes are beaten, and/or killed.

Drugs, the drug users die.

We want people to survive, even if the "victim" is the one doing the bullshit.
  5. Rainbow Deluxe Duchess of All Things Pretty and Music

Personally, I don't see why we get reprimanded for doing things that can only cause us harm, whereas those who actually do things that involve hurting other people are let free because the jury didn't find them guilty of the crime.

If I park on the side of the road to use the bathroom and someone breaks into the car and steals it or what's in it, instead of going after the criminal, I'd be given a ticket for parking in a no-parking zone, letting go of the fact that since my wallet was just stolen, I wouldn't be able to pay the ticket, and therefore I go to court for it. I mean, that doesn't seem logical to me.

Same idea with drugs. If those involved want to waste their lives away by shooting up or snorting whatever they can get their hands on, they should be allowed to. If they want to risk their own lives by driving while high or drunk, then go for it. Putting someone in jail for being addicted to meth or heroin is just as idiotic as throwing someone in jail for not paying a speeding ticket. Jail isn't going to help the addict. It makes them suppress the urge until they're free again, and guess what? They go right back to their old habit. Instead of punishing them, they should be punishing those that actually commit real crimes.
  6. PKT Forever /a/lone

That raises an interesting question, why is it that you can be detained if you want to commit suicide. It doesn't hurt anyone else.
  7. Nazo Moderator

It makes us look bad. People will begin to argue with the law, especially the family, "Why didn't you stop him?!" and this and that. Everyone wants to look good to everyone else. That's why victimless crimes are against the law. We don't want people to die for an unneeded cause. It'd make the country look... Uncaring about it's people.

It's stupid to us, yes. But if you were put in office and this and that, you'd be forced to keep those laws at bay. If you were to lift them, and state your meanings, you'd get two responses. You'd get the few that are with you. Then the religious fags who say it's wrong and want you out of office.

Me? I really don't care weather or not prostitutes die, or drug attics die, or suicidal people die. It's their choice and not mine. If I were in office and the subject came up, I'd shrug and leave it to the people to decide. Of course, with the odds of religious people up against ones such as us, we'd lose.
  8. PKT Forever /a/lone

I do think that trying to convince someone not to kill themselves is okay but legally forcing them not to kind of gives a reason to get it right the first time.