UPDATES: READ FIRST

Discussion in 'Announcements Archive' started by Diabolikal Rapture, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Poetic Sobriquet Cosmic Philosopher

I agree with lanza. Just wipe out all these old threads that seem new now. Start a clean slate.

Also will people please not make "Favorite movies" or "Currently watching/playing/reading" threads. Those really seem pointless. If people want to say they watched a movie, make a new thread with some substance and start a discussion on it. Don't just pop in and say "HEY I'M LISTENING TO THIS SONG" or "I JUST WATCHED THIS MOVIE". I hate those kinds of threads. They make people less likely to start threads about the things they are about.
  2. Lanza Well-Known Member

I don't have much of an opinion on this matter.

While it's correct in saying that those 'random tidbit' threads have no varied substance - who really wants to know what you've watched, or what you're listening to, or what you're reading right now?

It's also correct that if Omni didn't have a 'What are you listening to?' type of thread that she wouldn't hardly post anywhere else!

But seriously, I usually avoid those threads; the only time I do post there is to show that I'm an active user.
  3. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

Personally, I'd rather not archive everything again. It's a lot of work and hassle for purely aesthetic benefits that, more than anything, just makes the forum look dead to any Internet wanderers passing through. I'll make a poll, though, and see what everyone else thinks.
  4. Poetic Sobriquet Cosmic Philosopher

"We're lazy and since we don't do much other than appear as staff members anyways why give us ACTUAL work?!"

It'd rather them see empty boards instead of seeing threads that have been dead for months in boards that have very little activity. Don't you think?
  5. Lanza Well-Known Member

I'll assume that if smods can't get things from the archives that they can't place things into them.
  6. Rainbow Deluxe Duchess of All Things Pretty and Music

If the S-Mods could archive threads, I'd be doing it when asked to. Unfortunately, my ModCP powers have been suspended for a time being. >> Not like it's a very useful program anyway.
  7. Lanza Well-Known Member

Owned.
  8. Tektite New Member

I guess the gaming boards could be minimized, again.:bowser2::(

Maybe have a current gaming section and a past gaming section to seperate the old and new systems.
  9. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

Please don't assume or imply that this has anything to do with laziness on my part or on the part of other staffers. I'm trying hard to do what I feel is best for this forum and what is desired by the majority of members here so I'd rather not have to deal with what I interpret as snide sarcasm.

As for your second paragraph, no, I do not. Aside from being old I notice no real difference between a thread made in July and one made yesterday evening. And even if I felt there were, after a month of posting it's unlikely that any threads from the backup will still be noticeable. Indeed, if you dislike having old threads on the first page of a given board, a better alternative to archiving would be to create new ones, and encourage others to do the same. We garner activity, the old posts become less prominent, and the forum as a whole thrives while appearing outwardly active. Meanwhile, archiving everything presents no immediate benefits I can think of while making the forum look dead to anyone passing through.

Though of course I'll make a poll to see what others think before any action is taken.
  10. Diabolikal Rapture MPAA's Nightmare

If the old topics are bothering you so much, you could always flood the forum with new interesting topics? I'm sure the userbase, as well as you, would benefit from this. Archiving just seems senseless.
  11. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

My reason? This poll: http://www.wireforums.com/forums/under-marquee/28144-archive-everything-again.html

6 to 3 at the moment. So since it looks like there's a good chance we're going to end up archiving again, I'm going to wait until that poll is finished. Then we can just make it as we're rebuilding the boards. No point in doing it now if we're potentially just going to get rid of it in four days.

I thought it was largely because of Arkas' "my way or the highway" mentality, and the utter lack of respect by the staff towards the member base. This, at least, I think is something that has been remedied.

No set date yet. This doesn't seem like something that can be planned for overnight. And we've only been up for, what, three days now? We'll get 'em done, don't worry. I was one of the biggest proponents for them, and I stand by the idea. We'll certainly know we intend to hold them by the second week of October.
  12. Tentei No Mai Bitch Pudding!

All I'm going to say about the matter is this:

Patience is a Virtue: Just give us time!
  13. Carlo Marx Sunflower Sutra

Lol ignore that post I made, I was out of my mind when I made it :cookie:
  14. Lanza Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can attest to that.
  15. Diabolikal Rapture MPAA's Nightmare

To state publically and outside of the staff board, I'm having a bit of problems IRL. I'll be here as often as I can, if you really want to know what's going on, contact me on AIM or through a PM.