So ... who's tried the 3DS?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Legend Saber, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

I have! Just in Gamestop though. :p

Gotta say, the 3D effect is really cool. Only problem I had was that ... without 3D, the graphics were basically about equal to the PSP I already own. Might just be the selection of games I tried, but I wasn't particularly impressed with it sans 3D. Might still get one, depending on the games that come out for it, but right now I'm just waiting to see what Sony's NGP is going to be capable of.
  2. PKT Forever /a/lone

From the features listed I want em both. But no I haven't tried the 3DS. I might head down to GameStop to try it out though.
  3. Nazo Moderator

>_>

The NGP/PSP2 is going to be on par with the PS3 lol. The 3DS is a piece of shit with mediocre game titles. None of the titles have done exceptionally well. The average score a a 6/10. Which isn't BAD, but certainly not good. I've seen on at the GameStop here in town and I have to say... I don't like it. I think it was a bad idea just as the old 3D handheld Nintendo made way back was a bad idea. The 3D looks bad, and you can only see it from looking at the screen a certain way. I'm not a big fan of that type of 3D anyway, I hardly like to see movies in 3D, I just don't like it. Sure you can turn it off on the 3DS, but the lacking of good game titles turns me away.

I have an old DS lite. The only games I have for it are Phantasy Star Zero, and Mario Kart DS. The only two games that really interested me. Not the biggest Nintendo fan, but then again, Nintendo isn't for the hardcore gamers. It's more family oriented all 'round, and that's just not me. I'll be getting a PSP2 for sure when the time comes.
  4. Tentei No Mai Bitch Pudding!

Phantasy Star Zero totally kicks Phantasy Star Universe's ass. Talk about getting back to basics! Ah, anyway

Well, I haven't tried it yet, but from what I've seen, read, and heard...I'll probably get one, but it'll be as a birthday present. I mean, the launch titles for the 3DS is a bit better than the one for the DS since all I had to play on the DS for at least...6 months, I think was Feel the Magic and Super Mario 64, but it's not enough for me to go I FUCKING WANT IT NOW either. The 3DS will definitely have some truly awesome titles, but it will take some time, especially for those just aren't into games like Animal Crossing. Oh, but as for the 3D component...at this point I see it as a gimmick since Virtual Boy made me cry and having to find a sweet spot for that shit to work effectively doesn't appeal to me. At least with the dual screens I could easily see how groovy it would be in the long run. I'm totally content with my DS and my PSP now that there are so many coolio titles for them, but I will definitely get the NGP. Even though I'm not too much of a graphics enthusiast/whore, the NGP will probably blow me away just like the PSP did. Ah, I guess what I'm getting at is that I'll get both of the systems, but I'm perfectly fine with what I have now. I'll have to give each system a chunk of time before giving them a verdict...at least, in my opinion.
  5. Venom Well-Known Member

I haven't tried it, and I'm not in any real hurry. I might want one when Kid Icarus, Paper Mario, and the other Mario game are out though.
  6. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

It's actually surprisingly easy to find the 'sweet spot' for the 3DS. Once you find it, you don't even really notice it's there.
  7. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

It's actually surprisingly easy to find the 'sweet spot' for the 3DS. Once you find it, you don't even really notice it's there.
  8. PKT Forever /a/lone

Eh, reason I say both is simple. Once I made that late switch to the PSP I saw how awesome it was/is while the DS I had not long after it came out and though there were few games at launch I played quite a bit of what I had, Feel The Magic, Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits and a mess ton of GBA games on it.
  9. Nazo Moderator

Yeahhhhhh, I'll have to disagree. I honestly HATED universe at first. Mainly because I played Phantasy Star Online Episode 1&2 for a good 4 years of my life. I'd play it here at home, then play it with friends at their houses. Game was, and still is, awesome. I still play PSO:Blue Burst on a private server, but not that much anymore... Just getting old I guess.

I re-played PSU on the 360. The first time I played it it was on the PS2, which for some fucking reason couldn't support the graphics in the game. It would laaaaaaaaaaaag when you attacked something, then the music at bosses would cut out because the processor couldn't handle the graphics AND sound processing. That's the main reason I didn't like it. I thought the engine was a piece of shit. But, back then I was a newfag to technology, so it didn't cross my mind that it may have been the chipset itself being a piece of shit.

I've got a DS like I said, and where PSZ was fun, it was short lived. With a max level of only 100, and 'rares' incredibly easy to get, it quickly grew old. If I had money to pay for PSU, I'd be playing it until the 360 servers are cut. But, for right now I'll stick to PSP.

On topic-

I have a PSP, and I have to say for the first few years it was out, I didn't want one. Mainly because it's so easy to break. Then they made the Go, and really that's a small littler bugger that could fall out of your hands. But after years and years of debating and a friend of mine getting one and telling me how AWESOME it was, I said fuck it. Kat's mom got me a PSP Go last Christmas. Roger got me a 50 dollar gift card for the PSN, and I bought Phantasy Star Portable 2. I have been enjoying it for months now and will continue to.

Honely I'm not the biggest handheld fan. I never had any of nintendo's handhelds. I would see people on my school bus with them, and it wouldn't bug me I didn't have one. I didn't like them, so I would just hook up my CD player and blaze Linkin Park or something.

That, and my tolerance for Nintendo is dying away with every dumb move they do.
  10. Tentei No Mai Bitch Pudding!

I've only played the console editions of PSU, so are the PSP ones really good 'cause I'd give it a shot. I'm just more accustomed to PSO. Oh, screw it, I can probably download the demo later >__>.

Well, the PSP Go was a Hell No up until I was able to get for about 90 bucks and then I was all over it. The design is groovetastic and since I know how to put the games I own on UMD onto it...well, it's definitely worth the money. After all, being able to put in a good bunch of videos and music without having to worry about space is pretty nifty and I like taking it to work since it's so compact. Ah, anyway, I don't really see how the 3DS did so well in sales already since I see the fuckers EVERYWHERE and I wonder how the NGP will do in terms of launch game quality. The PSP was definitely awesome since there were a good number of games I wanted (Mainly Wipe Out, Darkstalkers, and Metal Gear Ac!d though Darkstalkers was slower than Sarah Palin on Jeopardy) and well, despite being a huge fucker the design was WAY more appetizing compared to the original DS. Graphics may not sell me, but I'm picky about looks -__-;.
  11. Venom Well-Known Member

I've gone through two PSPs, the first one I got rid of because there was nothing for it I wanted, and Ridge Racer and Darkstalkers were the only games I had. RR was the only one I actually played...and then I got another one because stuff started coming out, and then I sold it because I needed the money. The DS was kinda the same way, except I kept it knowing that eventually something good would be out. Recently I traded my DS too in anticipation of the backwards compatible 3DS (then I traded all my games later, so kinda pointless) so I'm not going to jump on either the 3DS or NGP until there's already a sizeable library of games to choose from, with a lot of games I want to play.
  12. Tentei No Mai Bitch Pudding!

I think that would be the best approach in all honesty. The library should be what warrants the purchase of either systems. I mean, I SHOULD wait at least a year until getting the 3DS, but...I'm just so used to getting my portables (Nintendo's anyway, it was definitely a year after a release that I got the Game Gear) within six months of release, so maybe I'm being needlessly impatient. However, then again, if I can get it for free I should definitely go ahead and take advantage of it now even though the only games I'm going to definitely want between now and August could be counted on one hand.
  13. Venom Well-Known Member

Well obviously it would be a different story if it was free, in anyone's case I'd say. Hell, if someone was going to give a free 3DS even if I absolutely didn't want one I'd just take it and trade/sell the thing.
  14. Nazo Moderator

Yeah, PSP2 is good. Never played PSP1 myself. I just got the Go for xmas so I was really, REALLY late getting into handhelds lol. But PSP2 reminds me of a good mixture of PSO and PSU. Some aspects are pretty stupid.. like, for instance.. if you die in an area doing a free run, you teleport back to the ship. There's no telepiping and shit like in PSO/PSZ. Makes it a bit harder. But you do have NPC party members. They're useless in damage dishing, but you won't get very far in free missions without them. They're good... distractions. Overall the game is good, I play it every day at random times, and every night before I go to bed. It get's tough to level up after around lol 105, but it just makes to strive ever more harder. Really because the 'rare' weapons you find are level requirements... everything in the game has level requirements. There's no ATK requirements or ATA requirements, so it makes it kinda casual.. but at the same time something to work towards. I have a NICE 14 star rare item waiting to be used, but I can't use it until level 120. I'm a 117 right now. Speaking of rares, they're not really 'rare'. ...I've found some good shit and I haven't played long. Though, I haven't found any uber rares like Lavis Cannon or something.

The graphics for the PSP2 will be on par with, they say, the 360/PS3. It'll be a VERY powerful handheld, so I'm expecting massive bugs on launch. I'll say wait a few months to a year before getting it. Everything that's new and really powerful has had bad bugs up until they patch it several times. ...or if your Microshit and have to keep making the same machine with different parts. I love my 360, but holy bleeding cunts I HATE M$.
  15. PKT Forever /a/lone

I've been playing a Japanese Demo of Phantasy Star Portable 2 and I do have to say I'm impressed. Hopefully I can join you on there one day.
  16. Tentei No Mai Bitch Pudding!

Alrighty, based on what you've told me I'll give it a shot. I did download the demo, but I got distracted. Maybe I should get it with the Buy 2 Get 1 sale at GS. Also...yeah, the NGP does seem like it's going to be buggerfic, so unless there's like, an omega awesome game I want to play I'll just wait.

On a related, yet unrelated note...I wonder if finding the sweet spot on the 3DS will be easier than finding the sweet spot on Ms. Virginia 'cause that would be super easy! Also, is anyone a nutcase for portable game accessories? I...kind of am. Remember how the Game Boy had like, a bunch of gizmos, but only two of them were useful? Yeah...I had to get the case to fit it all >__>;.
  17. Venom Well-Known Member

I keep accessories to a minimum myself. For GBC I had a light attachment (which I also had to use for GBA...DURING THE DAY...thank Christ for the SP) and a Gameshark. I've never gone beyond that for anything. I don't even get carrying cases, as I have one case that could hold them all, as well as games if I took them out of the cases first.
  18. Nazo Moderator

You can't call it Ms. Virginia. You ain't no virgin no more. And, how is that hard lol? It's either the clit or the top/front wall of the vagoo. Just ram things in there to find out lul.

I hardly play online. Only time I do is when I'm playing with Roger. It can lag pretty bad and the synchronization can go for a loop sometimes, but that's been every online PS. But then again, handheld servers are no the priorities of gaming companies.
  19. Tentei No Mai Bitch Pudding!

God, I have so many carrying cases that it is a little sad. I have zero purses, but ten DS carrying cases. And the Glow Worm or whatever it was called was a must have for any Game Boy before SP. Sure, the SP might be a little small for some, but that sucker made Castlevania titles playable in ANY environment.
  20. Tentei No Mai Bitch Pudding!

I didn't feel like making a new thread for information that only like, two people will mostly care about, but I like to spread...er, news, so here we go.

Apparently the 3DS will receive a price drop 169.99 starting on August 12 of this year. I'd be omega pissed as hell if 1. my 3DS wasn't a birthday present and 2. early adopters get 20 free games.

Yeah, 20 free ones, and we're not talking about shovelware, either! From the 3DS shop you'll be able to choose 10 games from the NES section and 10 games from the GBA section. Oh, and you can get them early before they become stuff you have to pay for, so I don't think it's THAT bad of deal. If you get one later on~80 bucks back in your pocket and if you already have one/can't return it for your mullah~Metroid Fusion, Ice Climbers, and others without a hitch.

So, this definitely means that the 3DS is TOTALLY IN TROUBLE since this move is steep in desperation and passive-aggressiveness. After all, there are several (valid, for the most part) reasons why gamers aren't exactly thrilled with this latest Nindy handheld and it certainly doesn't help that Sony's Buitah (Vita for you folks that actually like the name) is definitely gearing up to be something fierce.

Though, I'm on the fence that the 3DS is capable even though I was never a fan of 3D (seriously, it pisses me off all the 3D crap that's pumped into theaters which only serves to inflate already high ticket prices T__T;). I honestly can't see it failing to the point that it pulls a Dreamcast (meaning being enough to make Nintendo go "FUCK THIS NO MORE HANDHELDS, SOFTWARE ONLY"), but I can see the 3DS being damned for eternity like the Virtual Boy if it sinks further down.