Registrations

Discussion in 'Announcements Archive' started by Darth Arkas, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Darth Arkas RC-1138

New registrations have been turned off for security reasons. We have reason to suspect a DDOS attack was made on us, and until we clear it up, new members will need to contact an administrator (myself, Legend Saber, Grave Wisdom, Diabolikal Rapture) in order to have an account created.

Unless it's important or relevant, please do not reply to this thread. I'll delete the post.
  2. Omni <b><font size=4><font color=171717>Sola Fide

Why were registrations turned off to prevent a DDOS attack? I don't see how that would stop them from doing it.
  3. Diabolikal Rapture MPAA's Nightmare

Because the DDOS attack was in the form of registrations. They were trying to create so many accounts that it messed with the server, so turning off registrations is the only thing they could do to stop the attack.
  4. Omni <b><font size=4><font color=171717>Sola Fide

If you install the mod that requires them to answer a randomly generated question, it should be impossible for them to register. I'm guessing whatever you've got now doesn't stop them, but adding to it probably would.
  5. Diabolikal Rapture MPAA's Nightmare

We already have a thread about installing captcha images on the registrations in the staff board. :D We're working on it.
  6. Darth Arkas RC-1138

Update:

Registrations are back online. We'll see how things pan out, and adapt accordingly. I'm guessing we're stopping the bots we don't want here, so I doubt we'll have anymoar problems.