Movies for Summer of 2011

Discussion in 'Television, Movies and Animation' started by Rainbow Deluxe, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Rainbow Deluxe Duchess of All Things Pretty and Music

So, even though the summer isn't technically over yet, it's safely assumed that most of the good "summer" movies have been released. You can always come back and add more to the movies you've seen after this thread is made. So, which ones have you loved? Which ones did you absolutely hate? If you want to rate the movies, go ahead, or if you want to just talk (or even just name) them, that's fine, too!

For me, I'll list the movies I've seen and then which ones I liked, didn't like, etc.

Movies Seen this summer: Thor, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, X-Men: First Class, Green Lantern, Bad Teacher, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, Captain America: The First Avenger, and Friends with Benefits.

Movie(s) I liked: In all honesty, there weren't very many movies I didn't like. But the ones that stand out to me the most are Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, X-Men: First Class Green Lantern, Captain American, and Friends with Benefits.

Movie(s) I didn't really like: I honestly wasn't too fond of Thor that much. I enjoyed the acting, the special effects, and learning about the history of Thor, but that's honestly it. The movie wasn't anything special, the ending wasn't really what I'd been hoping for (never mind being lame in general), and it just was kind of, blah, to me. I also didn't really enjoy Bad Teacher. It had its moments in certain parts, but the overall effect was that Cameron Diaz just wasn't meant for the role. Plus, for a movie rated R, it honestly wasn't anything that couldn't have been rated PG-13, other than when Cameron Diaz's character gropes this woman's chest to see how her boob job turned out.

Movie(s) I have mixed feelings for: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. I have mixed feelings, obviously, because of how huge a Harry Potter fan I am. To base my sentimentality on this movie would be silly, however. It might have been the last film, ending an era of wizards and muggles alike, but to sit here and tell you it was an amazing movie and the best of the series would be a huge lie. They hyped and hyped and hyped the battle scene, the deaths scenes, pretty much everything this movie had to offer, and I honestly feel that Part 1 was ten times better. Did I enjoy it? Yes. Especially before the movie. Will I be seeing it again, buying it on dvd? Yes. But was it the best it could've been? Not even in the slightest.
  2. Venom Well-Known Member

I watched Captain America. It was pretty good.

Yeah, that's the only movie I've watched this summer. That's the only movie I've watched in it's entirety in a good 4-5 months too. I wanted to see X-Men: First Class, but I just can't find any motivation to go to the movies. The only reason I saw Captain America was because it was on open captioning, which my parents usually go see regardless of what's playing just to get out of the house and see a movie since my mom is hard of hearing. I think the X-Men DVD comes out next month though, so maybe I'll watch it then. I also wanted to see Thor, but, again, just never saw the point in going.
  3. Tentei No Mai Bitch Pudding!

I've only went to see like, one movie this season. Scream 4 was hilarious. Though, against my better judgment I am planning on seeing Final Destination 5. I really want to see how they fuck this one up, because Final Destination 4 was terribad. Not to say that the series is gold, but I did enjoy the 1 through 3. Sort of wish they explored Final Destination 2 idea of how skipping death leads to saving lives which leads to Death having to work overtime to dispatch those saved lives. I thought it was a little interesting.
  4. Venom Well-Known Member

I remember the first Final Destination, it was pretty cool. I'm not sure I ever watched any other ones.

After watching the trailer I may see 30 Seconds or Less. It looks better than anything else playing, at least.
  5. Zackapple Express khdahahfdiahkai fka

Super 8 was surprisingly really good. And yeah, thats about it. I've slacked this summer. Work and life and everything.
  6. William Well-Known Member

Actually, Final Destination 5 was the best of the series IMO. There's going to be a 6 and 7 or at least it's planned, which will both be filmed back to back. But 5 kind of wraps up the entire series, in a way. I just really enjoyed it a lot.

Out of all the other movies I've seen... Fright Night and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt 2 were both "okay". Nothing great, but not really bad either.

I tried watching Attack the Block. Got bored 40 minutes into it and stopped watching.

The only other movie released this summer that I really wanted to see is "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark", which I'll be watching either today or tomorrow. I did watch the original version and it was just... really weird, buttttttt... Del Toro did this one and I really like his movies so... hopefully it's pretty good.
  7. Tentei No Mai Bitch Pudding!

o-o I'd rather watch Are You Afraid of the Dark, but Dream House looks cool (I am so fucking old ;__;). There's something nice about a little girl saying "People DIE in this house". And my comrade wants me to go see that movie...er...How She Do It or whatever, but I rarely watch chick flicks >__>.
  8. William Well-Known Member

I haven't even heard of that yet... I'll check it out though o.o
  9. Rainbow Deluxe Duchess of All Things Pretty and Music

Oh. Add The Help to my list.
  10. Venom Well-Known Member

I'll probably rent X-Men: First Class and/or Thor soon, so just tossing that in here for the sake of...whatever. I wanted to see them in theaters but I hardly ever go see movies in theaters anymore. Before I saw Captain America the last movie I'd seen in theaters was the first Iron Man. In 2008. So...yeah.