Marijuana Legalization

Discussion in 'Train of Thought' started by Legend Saber, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

For or against?

I say this is light of so many states beginning to look towards marijuana as a source of additional tax revenue:

San Francisco - The Snitch - Legalize It: Ammiano to Introduce Legislation Monday to Allow Pot -- and Tax It
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/01/us/01sin.html?_r=1&hp

As well as more people than ever supporting legalization of the drug:

FiveThirtyEight.com: Politics Done Right: Americans Growing Kinder to Bud

Personally, I'm completely 100% for it. Marijuana is leaps and bounds safer than alcohol and tobacco and the fact that it's still illegal after all these years speaks volumes about the value of propaganda. We should legalize marijuana and then tax it to hell and back, kill two birds with one stone.
  2. Rainbow Deluxe Duchess of All Things Pretty and Music

I'm all for this idea. I've never understood why marijuana was illegal when tobacco was not only legal, but teenagers are allowed to start smoking at 16.

Besides, taxing Marijuana might just help out the national debt. I mean, think about how many Americans smoke at least one blunt in their lifetime. There are 290 million Americans (give or take), and I'd say about a third smokes pot, if not more. My statistics and math are probably wrong, but I also know that most of my friends back in NC smoke, and my sister even took a hit off a blunt. So say all of them were taxed, along with those who they got the drugs from, and the others that they sold the drugs to? In a year's time, maybe a little bit longer, we'd probably have the National Debt at least somewhat out of the way.

Just my opinion though, and again, my statistics and math are probably wrong.
  3. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

This is something that I definitely wish would happen, but I doubt it will. The problem is that even if marijuana was taxed, no one in Washington really cares about the National Debt. Its risen every single year since 1961 (discounting a single year of the Clinton administration where it broke even), and it doesn't seem like Obama gives a hoot about trying to get the debt down either. Kind of a pity, really, but that's another debate entirely.
  4. Nazo Moderator

I hope it stays illegal. People are stupid and at other times don't do things out of fear of trouble. If pot became legal, imo, this country would turn into a worthless, poor messed up country full of high-fags.

Also; even if it was taxed and all that bullshit, people would still find ways to get it without paying for it, that alone would be illegal.

It's a fail/fail.