Good RPGs for the X-Box 360?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Tatsu, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Tentei No Mai Bitch Pudding!

Divinity II as in The Dragon Saga or whatever? Well, I haven't played it personally, but comrade thinks it's an okay game. He liked the mind reading and how action-y the combat is. Though he did say that he didn't like the dragon mode so much. If I have a chance to play it I'll let you know if it's stellar or not!
  2. Carlo Marx Sunflower Sutra

Don't forget to leave out the fact that they reused the engine AGAIN in Fallout new Vegas.

And yeah engine really is a peice of shit. Other games(borderlands, bioshock) pretty much ran on a theoritically similar battle system and were just a million times smoother. However, I do not know if it is currently possible(Or if at the time it would have been a reasonable endevour) to try and make a game both uber smooth and at the same time uber vast. Either way, I am looking forward to Skyrim.
  3. Nazo Moderator

Yup. New Vegas last I seen runs HORRIBLE. It's terrible. They tried to tweak it as much as possible, but jesus you can only go so far with shit. On Borderlands, for the 360 it would lag at some points... especially on Crawmerax The Invincible if you scoped in, it'd go at like 10 FPS. On PC, it doesn't do that. I THINK it does it on PS3, too. Borders was not made for consoles. Feels good, man. There's a lot of games out there that run super smooth and are vast. They're just on PC and require good rigs.
  4. Cletus Well-Known Member

I'm disappointed in all you guys hyping up Oblivion. Have none of you played it's predecessor, The Elder Scrolls III Morrowind? Daggerfall was good too, but its mechanics and gameplay are so dated now I can imagine many people would not be able to really enjoy it. Oblivion was "dumbed down" from Morrowind so much, I lost a lot of respect for Bethesda when it came out. Oblivion, and Fallout 3 were both good games, but they did not live up to Bethesda's reputation, as far as I am concerned. Bethesda made amazing games that felt a lot like table top RPGS (my favorite gaming experience), and that's what I loved about them. Oblivion and Fallout just felt like generic action games with a poor leveling system. Morrowind was such a massive game, I can *still* play it and find new things. Everytime I try to go back and play Oblivion I get bored in a few days.

I am not interested in Skyrim at all due to the direction they took, though I will likely pick it up with Gamefly when it comes out just to see if they have gotten back to their roots.

Bioware too has gone down the tubes since they were bought out by EA. I loved literally every game they made up until Mass Effect 2 (the first game that was put into production after EA bought them). Again, ME2 was a fun game, but it was too much of a generic shooter, it felt like I was playing Gears of War. All the RPG elements were removed and the story was so pointless. I had hoped it was an isolated case, surely their next game would be great, right? I was wrong, I can't even put into words how disappointed I was with that game. It got a lot of hate from the fanbase for abandoning the audience that made the game successful enough to warrant a sequel, but EA already has them in their death grip and there is little to nothing Bioware can do about it.

What I'm trying to get at is this; Stop liking what I don't like!

But seriously, you guys should try some table top games if you haven't. I have tons of fun playing with my friends, creating unique stories and worlds.
  5. Tentei No Mai Bitch Pudding!

o-o; I'd give table top games a go, but none of my comrades play them. And just how shootery is Mass Effect 2, because I haven't played it yet even though I have the game? Gawd, I do fine when we're talking shooters like Radiant Silvergun, but when you go Halo and Gears of War or whatever on me I become suckety suck of the umptenth sucky degree.
  6. Nazo Moderator

Morrowind was only good on the Xbox, which I never owned, so no. And I really never knew about the Elder Scrolls games. I don't have exceeding knowledge in most games as it is really, only newer ones. I got into gaming a bit late, you see. lol.

The Oblivion engine is just a revamped version of the Morrowind Engine. It's a terrible engine and you could only do so much with it. Oblivion came out in '06, and not even a year after the 360's launch. It was dumbed down because no one really knew what the 360 COULD do. It was also just an attempt to see if they were still good with the gaming community and such. Bethesda has also been low on funds, which is why they have reused the engine in F3 and F:NV. In fact, I believe both those games have just been a way to get the funds together to build a new engine to make a bigger, better game. Bethesda was had been having a low profile for a while before Oblivion I believe. No surprise Oblivion was dumbed down.

Oblivion was also dumbed down because of all the voice acting. Everything is Voiced in Oblivion, Morrowind was more text based. So it took up more space. And still, not knowing what the system could do at the time, they didn't make it as huge. I'd also imagine it'd be a bit difficult to make it a multi-disc game with that type of game. The whole open expanse of the world map and all. You'd have to constantly switch back and forth between discs to get to certain places, and that is just a no no with me and a lot of other gamers. I do wish Oblivion could've been as long as Morrowind and huge, I mean the world was like 5 times bigger in Morrowind than in Oblivion, but when it comes down to it, Oblivion still lived up to Bethesda's work. Being a good game in general.

Another thing that made Oblivion so grand was the 3rd party mods on the PC. It made the game amazing-er and that's the only reason I hype it up. I have the 360 version and it makes me throw up. I still played it because it's fun, but after playing it on the PC first, I wanted to break the disc.

Mods... lots of mods. lol.

I thought it looked pretty cool I just hope the story is longer... MUCH MORE longer than in Oblivion.

..you don't like Gears? :(

Mass Effect 2 was so inferior to Mass Effect 1. Luckily, ME3 will be bringing back a lot of elements from ME1 back to the table. I still liked ME2, but I loved ME1.

EA and Activision are the cancer corporations of gaming. I hate them both, but for some reason I like CoD: MW2 and Black Ops. BO for it's campaign only, though, and combat training against AI bots is fucking hilariously cheap, but fun at the same time. But it's multiplayer was god awful. I liked MW2's story and it's multiplayer. To this day I've only ran into 3 rooms with modders in it. And I haven't had much trouble with glitchers. And... what makes me really sad is Bungie joined Activision in a 10 year contract... >_>

IT MAKES MY TROLL PENIS HARDER.

Lol. It's all a matter of opinion, bro.
  7. Cletus Well-Known Member

I disagree. I think Morrowind is good no matter what console you play it on (a great game is a great game) but it was much better on the PC. It loaded much faster, you could mod the game to your liking (including fixing glitches that Bethesda ignores), it ran much smoother, the menus were easier to navigate, etc. I only own the game on the Xbox because my computer sucks, but I have played it on the PC and thought it was much cleaner.

Like I said, I still think it was a good game, but I just don't feel that it was of TES quality. A lot of stuff was scrapped. You couldn't wear clothes under armor, you couldn't wear robes over armor, crossbows were removed, throwing weapons were removed, spears were removed, variations of daggers and swords were removed, there were very few sets of armor compared to Morrowind (including an entire class of armor being removed), some spells were removed, some skills were removed, I'm sure I could list many and more.

The voice acting was very cheap, too. They cut a lot of the voice actors from Morrowind. One guy voiced all the male elves, one woman voiced all the female elves, the argonian VA did khajiits too, the nord VA did orcs as well, etc. It really hurt immersion...for *me*, atleast.

One thing I did like about Oblivion was the ability to mix up poisons and coat your weapons with them, something we've been doing for years with table top RPGS that should have been in TES from the start.

Mods have been a big part of the Elder Scrolls experience since Morrowind, and it is one of the many reasons I recommend playing TES games on the PC to the people who haven't.

Actually, I do. I already have Gears 3 pre-ordered and plan on getting the Gears 3 console to replace my 360, since it's having some major problems. I apologize for saying Gears is a "generic shooter" because I actually feel Gears is one of the few unique shooting experiences on the market right now. The point, however, was that if I wanted to play Gears of War I would go play Gears of War, I felt like ME 2 focused too much on combat and it seemed like it was just another shooter game.

Exactly, I still enjoyed ME 2, but ME 1 was so much better.

Just out of curiousity, have you ever played a table top rpg? If you like Bioware games you should try them out.

If you liked ME1 you'll probably still like ME2, but the game has a much heavier emphasis on combat and a lot of the RPG elements were removed.

If you're interested in playing table top games you should bring it up with your friends, it's possible some of them have an interest but they just haven't brought it up. The books aren't that expensive, and you could split them between your group since you'll all be using them. Dice are cheap as fuck (like 20 cents for one). If you manage to get anyone interested and want more explanations on what/how to play, I'd be happy to provide help by answering any questions. I'd hate for you to finally try them and you end up buying a book of a shitty system and quit because you don't like it.

I actually just joined another Star Wars Saga Edition game, even though I hate WotC games because their rules are terrible and they also ruined D&D. But there are no SW alternatives, so it's the only way to play. My character (who is a cyberdoc, an expert in medicine and engineering and likes to "improve" people with cybernetic implants and prosthesis) was just on trial for three counts of manslaughter, negligence, and medical malpractice. My very smart friend who is also in the game happened to be playing a lawyer, and he decided to represented me. We managed to escape a prison sentence, though they removed my medical license. I intend to just forge a new one and work in the criminal underworld as a back alley doctor/cyberdoc.

That particular session was pretty badass.
  8. Tentei No Mai Bitch Pudding!

Well, I should say something like "Bitches, we're going to have a table top night, so pick your poison even though the only things I can think of are Dungeons and Dragons and that game with the zombies" and see what happens. The worst I could do is force them to play with me if they say no, right? I wish there was something like a Persona table top game, because I would enjoy that. Oh, though I did want to give Shadowrun a twirl once upon a time...hm.
  9. Nazo Moderator

Friends of mine played Morrowind on PC and said the opposite lol. Weird. Always said it was too glitchy on PC and that it'd crash a lot. Different rigs mean for different experience I guess. :p

Yup, but like I said I think they had to. They weren't sure how the 360 would handle it, and for the most part they KNEW that engine was liquid shit. Even Fallout 3 was small if you did just the story. Oblivion and F3 were pretty large if you did all the side shit. But even F3 ran BAD on a good PC and shitty on the 360. Just a bad engine. That's why Fallout: New Vegas was considerably smaller than both. And I found spears to be pretty cheap lol. If your accuracy was high enough, you'd rape from range.

Lol, I thought it was funny the way they did that. I've always thought they just got like 8 of the actual employee's there to do the voicing.

Nope. I have to actually see things happening, otherwise it's not interesting to me. Same reason I don't read, I watch. Anything I read pretty much just leaves me head the moment after I read it unless I'm REALLY interested in it. Such as reading up on Black Holes on wikipedia.
  10. Cletus Well-Known Member

Nazo, we should play Gears sometime, whenever I get my Xbox Live back. Everyone I know hates Gears, I only have about 2 other people to play with.

Indeed. The best way to get started is to see if any of your friends have played in the past, and have them GM for you. It is kind of overwhelming to have to start GMing with no experience at all, and you'll have to put up with a lot of errors and such until you get used to it. It's hard for people to get into table top games because they are hard to learn without any experience. Most people seem to get involved in them because their friend plays and he offers to help them learn or something.

Incoherent nerd rambling:

I've never played Persona, so I can't recommend anything similar. My opinion on Dungeons and Dragons is that the ones made by TSR (Gary Gygax's originals, specifically AD&D 2nd Edition) are the only "true" D&D games. The risk of death was a lot higher, and there were many horror-esque creatures with crazy affects that would fuck up players. AD&D was more about playing regular people that decided to become adventurers, and they survive solely because they have the will to cope with the crazy shit they encounter. Eventually TSR went out of business because someone that Gygax left in charge while he was away fucked everything up, and they were bought out by WotC, who went on to ruin the game with 3rd edition. It was no longer about roleplaying and having fun, it was about trying to make the strongest character possible ("min-maxing"), looking through upwards of 10 books to find any feat, talent, or skill that had a loophole that you could take advantage of. You weren't playing "regular" people anymore, you were playing superheroes. Your attributes were generally higher (10 being human average, you would often start the game with at least one attribute at 18, the equivalent of superhuman strength/intelligence/endurance, etc), you had much more HP, and dealt more damage.

Fourth edition is the most recent D&D game (and they discontinued all the older games so the books are harder to find now), it is generally considered a "D&D lite" game, and it is a decent entry point for new players. I don't really like it, but it is simple and easy to learn, and you can actually find the books in bookstores unlike the other editions. Unfortunately, the monster manual gives very little information about the creatures, so a DM that is unfamilair with many mythical creatures will be completely lost when it comes to where X creature would live, what it eats, etc. The rules aren't like typical D&D at all, and many people mockingly refer to it as "World of Warcraft RPG/D&D WoW Edition". But it will give you a general idea of how table top games work.

Shadowrun is fun as hell but requires buckets of dice and can be confusing to new players.

I'm not sure what setting you would be interested in, but a good starting game if you're interested in D&D fantasy type games may be Castles and Crusades. It is VERY simple, and you could probably make a character in about 15 minutes. You will need two books ("Players Handbook" for your players and "Monsters & Treasure" for the GM). C&C is rules-lite, but don't let that restrict what you do in the game. If there aren't rules for something you want to do, just wing it, never let rules get in the way of having fun. Another may be Star Wars Saga Edition, if you like Star Wars. It is plagued by the same problems as D&D 3E because it's also made by WotC, but it kind of makes more sense for them to have higher attributes and stuff because it's based in a time with assloads of future-tech where people are probably generally stronger than they are today anyway. Much like how in real life we were all much smaller, weaker, and stupider in days of yore.

Hint: If you go to /rs/ on 4chan you can download the .pdfs of the rulebooks so you can try them out and play with them if you have a laptop to bring to wherever your group is meeting. But if you actually start playing the game regularly, support the developers and buy the books.
    Tentei No Mai likes this.
  11. Nazo Moderator

lololol

I only got Gears 2. I think I only played Horde mode. Shit was cash.

If you're ever into just killin' nuubs, hit me up for some Halo or CoD. lol.

Though, I'll be honest. I love to troll on XBL, so I mean, idk how you are and your comedic views, but I'd like to say I'm a horrible person to play with, but in a good way. :cool:
  12. Cletus Well-Known Member

I was referring to Gears 2 when I said that, bro. I usually do make a joke out of my gaming sessions, but I take Gears a bit more seriously than other games because I think teamwork is important since you don't have respawns in execution and warzone.

But I can't play anything right now since I don't have any greenbacks to renew my shit.
  13. Tentei No Mai Bitch Pudding!

lol, my goodness, you're such the informer when it comes to table toppers! Well, you did say that you're an uber nerd when it comes to it, but I just love it when an expert gives me tips and the like. Ah, but let's see...I've always had a thing for the occult, but honestly I'll be fine with any setting, so it would really be more about what would be the most interesting. I can take the time to learn the rules and the like, but I already know the majority of my comrades don't have hardcore experience (or at least enough to be Game Master), so I'd probably just take the time to get some .pdfs and try to familiarize. At the very least I can make mai haanii and Ko-chan play. I'm going to go Record of Lodoss War on a Whore!
  14. Cletus Well-Known Member

Classic D&D had some interesting occult supplements (including information for ritualistic gang rape!), but my favorite occult based game is definitely Call of Cthulu. If you have any experience with H.P. Lovecraft, that's a plus, but you don't necessarily need to have read his books to enjoy it. The setting and nature of the game can easily be summed up with a quote from the Wikipedia article; "Call of Cthulhu has a reputation as a game in which it is quite common for a player character to die in gruesome circumstances or end up in a mental institution. Unlike in most other role-playing games, eventual triumph of the players is not assumed".

It is a really intense game if you can get a good GM who takes it seriously, but because of the nature of the game it can be hard to find a GM who is willing to put forth the effort needed. Since it's somewhat of a detective game, it requires a lot of time for the GM to prepare.

My character escaped, but ended up hanging himself after he had persistent night terrors and hallucinations. Tragic!
    ---
    EDIT: I should have clarified that D&D 3rd edition was revised by another company, and released under the name Pathfinder. It is an improved version of 3rd edition and fixes many of the balancing issues (wizards, sorcerers, and other casters were infinitely more powerful than martial classes in 3E) present in the game. It still runs on the same basic rule system, however, but it is a way for D&D 3E fans to keep playing since WotC discontinued the actual game.
  15. Tentei No Mai Bitch Pudding!

Oh, I'm a fan of the Lovecraft (after all, that's part of the reason why Persona 2: Innocent Sin is on my top 5 list of best games ever), and I did hear about Call of Cthulu, so maybe I should put that on my list?
  16. Nazo Moderator

Annnnnnnd quoted.
  17. Tentei No Mai Bitch Pudding!

KURISU-KUUUUUUUUUUN
    1307134254352.jpg
    GODDAMN YOUR QUOTING WAYS
    Nazo likes this.
  18. Cletus Well-Known Member

Maybe you should. There are a bunch of different versions of it, and I'm not even sure what the most recent edition is, myself. I've only played the game a few times, but it was the original system made by Chaosium, I'm unsure of what edition I played, unfortunately. I know WotC made their own version with the d20 rule system, but I have no experience with it so I don't know if it's worth trying. Chaosium books were usually around 30-40 dollars, if I remember correctly.

you so crazy!
  19. Tentei No Mai Bitch Pudding!

Geez, there are like, multiple versions!? Damn, well, can't be as bad as trying to figure out the definitive version of Final Fantasy IV >__>. Also, turns out that one of mai haanii's friends DID in fact used to table top (shut up, Kurisu-kun, you bitch) back in his pre-teen days, but I don't know how I feel about playing with him.
  20. Cletus Well-Known Member

Well, there are different versions from other companies with their own rules, yes, but the differences between editions of a game made by the same company are usually not drastic. Typically they simply fix mistakes, add new features, classes, equipment, etc. Usually games will add supplement books rather than jump to a new edition (i.e. the "Arms and Equipment Guide" for AD&D is a supplement which added more armor, weapons, and equipment, and even includes information on how they are made, what they are best for, etc), but when enough changes are piled up it is easier to compile it all into a new edition. I don't think CoC has changed that much from edition to edition of the Chaosium products, and you might find that you don't like the new editions and prefer the older ones, anyway. I would recommend you stick to playing the Chaosium versions, though. It seems like most people prefer Chaosium because they are the original.

Huge changes typically only take place when the developer changes, i.e. WotC took over D&D for 3E and Fantasy Flight Games took over the Warhammer Fantasy RPG when their 3rd Edition came out. Warhammer FRPG changed dramatically because FFG is a developer of (very good) board games, and their edition plays more like a board game than a table top RPG, including having pieces that you *need* to play the game (which you might lose).

Other things to remember is don't be afraid to simply say "we're not using this rule" if it is something you don't like. For instance, I don't use the weapon vs armor tables in AD&D (which determine things like piercing weapons are more effective versus chainmail and give a +2 to your attack) because it just adds more stupid shit that the GM has to keep track of and it's not worth it. In fact, as much as I love AD&D, there are a lot of obtuse rules in it and I wouldn't recommend you play it until you're familiar with other table top games.

Another interesting "occult" game I love is Deadlands. It isn't as crazy or weird as CoC, but it has many horror elements. Deadlands is in fact so badass, that the caster-equivalent has to play poker with demons to cast his spells. Doesn't get much cooler than that.

You could really turn anything into an occult setting though. That's the great thing about these games, they offer a freedom video games will never be able to match. You could take the Star Wars system and make your campaign all about horror, you could even turn Ninja Burger into a serious game.