Good RPGs for the X-Box 360?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Tatsu, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Tatsu Dragoniac

What can you recommend? I'm more into old-school type games, which there are none for the 360 but still. I tried Dragon Age but I have to say I never had the urge to play it agani after an hour of gaming. It feels kinda generic and the fighting didn't really get me. A fighting system like in the old FF games would be nice. Which leads me: how is the last FF game? Just hot graphic or is there more behind?
  2. Tentei No Mai Bitch Pudding!

Ah-haha...ah...um...hm, Final Fantasy XIII wasn't a bad RPG by any means and I know there are fans for that game, but I wouldn't say that I'm one of those fans. Honestly, you should give it a try since I'm one of the few that totally enjoyed Final Fantasy VIII, but never finished IX >__>;. As for other recommendations...Tales of Vesperia is a must-have. Eternal Sonata is also awesome. If you didn't like Dragon Age you might not like Mass Effect, but I haven't played either title (though I did buy Mass Effect 2 due to an incredible sale), but they seem similar. I'm not sure about Resonance of Fate due to the warped difficulty setting, but that could be worth a rental. Nier is fucking amazing, so definitely go for that. That's all I can think of for now, though you could always give Blue Dragon (old, I know) a shot.
  3. Zackapple Express khdahahfdiahkai fka

Isn't Eternal Sonata an RPG?
  4. Tentei No Mai Bitch Pudding!

o-o; Yeah, it is, which is why I totally recommend it! Choplin, The RPG.
  5. Zackapple Express khdahahfdiahkai fka

OH shit, I thought you missed that. BTW, I recommended you Eternal Sonata you skank. U O ME.
  6. Tentei No Mai Bitch Pudding!

>__> I don't remember a conversation where you recommended me Eternal Sonata, but I do remember a conversation of me calling you various names such as WHOREMONGERING BUTT MONKEY OF THE SEVEN SEAS. Also, it's the funniest thing...K-Mart had Mass Effect for 15 dollars and I had some K-Mart dollars or whatever they called, so I got it. I haven't opened it yet, but I'll play it this weekend. Probably. I haven't even opened my new 360 yet...

I wouldn't recommend Spectral Force, though unless you find it for like, 5 dollars. Ah, what else...Lost Odyssey was pretty cool. I would definitely recommend Star Ocean: The Last Hope unless you have a PS3 since I believe the PS3 version is better (I would say the same for Eternal Sonata, but it's definitely fine for a 360 title).
  7. PKT Forever /a/lone

Not traditional but Oblivion seems good.
  8. Tentei No Mai Bitch Pudding!

Oh, yeah, I should play Oblivion just so that I can prove I CAN enjoy non-Japanese RPGs. I liked the Harry Potter rpgs for the GBC and GBA, but still...

I would recommend Enchanted Arms, but...I haven't really beaten the game, but you might be able to find it super cheap.
  9. Zackapple Express khdahahfdiahkai fka

Speaking of Oblivion..

The new Skyrim trailer is epic. And, I mean EPIC.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSRtYpNRoN0[/ame]
  10. PKT Forever /a/lone

How about Fable II?
  11. Tentei No Mai Bitch Pudding!

Fable II should SO be cheap by now, but mai haanii says that Fable III is better...not that I've played it to confirm that.
  12. PKT Forever /a/lone

Yeah, I don't keep tack of these things... :\
  13. Carlo Marx Sunflower Sutra

Fable lost any claim to being a game after the first. A rpg tutorial is more like it. They completely got rid of the possibility of failure. I set the controller in my three year old siblings hand, told him to follow the gold trail and kill all the bad games, and let him go on to completing the main story in less than a day(Besides a few spots where I had to offer some assistance requiring comprehension, which very rarely happens in the first place).
    That said, all the good things about the game that still existed in the second game were removed from the third. They took a game that was bordering being considered too simple, and simplified it to extreme boundaries.

The game is extremely short and not challenging. A buddy and I went on a conquest of fable two to find a way to make the game challenging. We found that after refusing to put experience points into health and resetting the game if we should ever die that we were wasting our time with trash and moved onto more fruitful endeavors.

If you are looking for traditional I would stay away from the mainstream titles. You might like FF13, but if you are looking for a Final Fantasy experience, you will not find it here. Eternal Sonata was a beautiful experience, and I was really liking Enchanted Arms(Both must be played subbed not dubbed, voice acting quality matters and Americans just cant re create Japanese dialogue). I would suggest that you stay away from the new Star Ocean. The dialogue in it is sooooo bad, I was unable to continue playing with the sound on. (The American version of the game does not include the original dialogue in japanese and the voice acting is just unbearable, the execution, odd fake pauses in between bits of dialogue, the horrible levels of dry emotion present at all times, I could just go on forever)

The Fallouts, Three and New Vegas, are the two greatest RPGs to ever exist in my opinion. The games run on the same engine of Oblivion, and while they might not be as fufilling as a game that you can just play forever, there is still intense replay value and the gameplay is really fun(It generally works like a first person shooter but can at times act as a turn based rpg, just look at videos if you want to see). Oblivion is another suggestion, much like fallout in game mechanics, only in a medieval setting and revolving more around meelee. This makes it seem less like a shooter than fallout since it is not gun based however they both use the same game engine and even have almost identical controls. The three of these games are my favorite RPGs for the reason of how sanboxy they are. The immense replay value. The incredible amount of hours that go into completing it, and unlike JRPGs its not mostly spent leveling, there is just so much game content. THAT is why I rate them with a big fat A+ and have thus hopped ship to the American side of the RPG world, just the fact that I was able to spend so much time enjoying the vast worlds in each of the games and always having something to do on a great mechanics engine.
  14. Nazo Moderator

Turn up the difficulty. Even normal mode is a piece of shit in Fable 3.

Tales of Vesperia
    Final Fantasy XIII
    Lost Odyssey
    Fable II
    Fable III (Fable II is better)
    Star Ocean - The Last Hope
    Fallout 3 is an FPS, but has many RPG Elements As does Borderlands
    The Elder Scrolls IV - Oblivion is a first person perspective game. It is not FPS, unless you want to count the seldom used Bows and Arrows. You'll mostly use melee weapons.
    Mass Effect
    Assassin's Creed I
    Assassin's Creed II
    Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. More-so Action-RPG. There isn't a 'level up' system, but you do upgrade your character.
    Crackdown 2 is also an Action-RPG, it's not THAT good, but it's nice to free roam and kill shit. Assassin's Creed superior, though.
    Dead Rising
    Dead Rising 2
  15. Tentei No Mai Bitch Pudding!

Add Nier to that list, Kurisu-kun! IT'S GOOD, DAMMIT. Though, the only problem I had with The Last Hope was that all of the female characters pissed me off. Well, Reimi was okay, but still.

Anyway, I think that list is pretty damn top notch for the most part. I really should play Dead Rising II, though, or rather get the game. I did play it, but it was over at my comrade's.
  16. Nazo Moderator

I honestly HATED the characters in The Last Hope. I couldn't stand how anime it was. It was WAY over done to the point I quit playing at one point and didn't resume/beat it for another few months. I didn't even do the bonus dungeon. Read up on it, seemed boring. I played Till the End of Time and loved it. Beat the bonus shit and all. It was a grand game. I put it up there just incase she may have liked it.

And Idk was Nier is.

I'd add a lot more Tales games, but they're not all on the 360.
  17. Tentei No Mai Bitch Pudding!

>__> You bastard, YOU SHOULD GO OUT AND GET NIER. IT'S LIKE 15 DOLLARS NEW NOW. COME ON, DO IT, YOU WON'T REGRET IT, WHY ARE YOU NOT COOPERATING WITH ME, STOP BEING A GAMETEASE.

Ahem, there are some good Tales games out there, though I would recommend to stay away from Radiant Mythology for the PSP and to go with Eternia instead (well, it's Euro-only, but it's worth the import). I think my favorite is Tales of the Abyss, but I just don't know. We really miss out on Tales games, though.

Oh, I think Zoids Assault is pretty fun, but I'd stay away from Spectral Force unless you like fucked up strategy RPGs.
  18. Carlo Marx Sunflower Sutra

:confused: I was under the impression that said difficulty setting did not exist. Am I wrong?

Also, I would not compare Fallout to Borderlands. It is like comparing Diablo and Everquest because they are both top view RPGs. Fallout is waaaaay more of an rpg where as Borderlands is waaaaaay more of a shooter. Just look at what each game revolves around. Fallout revolves around exploring the world, a good and evil karma system, and dialogue choices made while talking to vast ammount of NPCs that roam the world where as Borderlands is a game that completely revolves around shooting fuckers and steeling their loot. Back to fallout, The focus on the quality of the shooting engine reflects this. Fallout probably has the worst shooting engine the 360 has to offer, extremely rough and bumpy. But its like, you don't really care about this because you are playing an RPG and if supremely clean expensive battle mechanics are what you want, RPGs are not the kinda games you play. You are too busy worried about clearing a dungeon, or bending NPCs to your will. It is as much a shooter and as much an RPG as Oblivion is.
  19. Nazo Moderator

Right now, I'm not entirely sure, but I think there's a difficulty setting in the options. Because I remember the game being easy so I tuned it up a bit.

Fallout is way more of an RPG than Borderlands, but I found Borders to have a very interesting story and a grand looting system. The loot system is what made it fun. I listed it up there with F3 because it's an FPS-RPG and she asked for good RPG games for the 360. Borderlands, in my opinion, has more play value in the longer run.

Oblivion blew my mind; loved it. One thing I disagree with, I cared about it's Engine. The quality of it was shit. And battling people in a laggy, shit-ridden engine sucked. Though, it only failed in the world area. Dungeons and enclosed areas ran fine. F3 was released in '09. Oblivion was released in, '05/'06. They used the same Engine for both games. And the Engine is a fucking piece of trash. Even on a Super-High-End gaming PC like mine, the FPS(Frames Per Second) drop drastically. The engine is buggy and crashes, it's worst than the X-Ray Engine. In fact, it's so horribly made that ULTRA-HIGH-END computers had trouble running it. Not because of the graphics or texture resolution, because F3 and Oblivion both used 512 x 512 - 1024 x 1024 sized textures, which is 2 times LESS than standard textures, but because it was buggy and shitty. They used it on Oblivion. Why the hell they reused it for F3 is beyond me, but it was a dumb ass idea. Luckily, The Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim comes out 11/11/11, and it's using a new engine. That makes me hard. But if it's a piece of trash like the Oblivion Engine.. I'll sigh and cry. But no matter how shitty the engines were... I played the fuck out of those games on PC, but only because 3rd party modders fixed a lot of shitty aspects of the engine that the devs couldn't.
  20. Venom Well-Known Member

While we're on this...sort of...has anyone played Divinity II? I'm wondering if it's any good. It's pretty much getting average reviews, but it sounds like a game I could sink a lot of time into, so I was thinking about checking it out to have something that will hold my attention for a while.