Ghosts!

Discussion in 'Area 51' started by Schatten Der Nacht, Oct 14, 2007.

?

Believe in ghosts?

Yes I believe! 10 vote(s) 58.8%
No way, they can't be real. 2 vote(s) 11.8%
They COULD be, but I'm skeptical. 5 vote(s) 29.4%
  1. Ghosts. They are a widespread mystery of the world. Do they exist? Can the exists? Have you ever had an encounter? Well. Vote if you believe, and scribble down an encounter you've had.

I've seen and talked to a ghost in my theater!
  2. chaleur spectrale flori veştejite

Aw, you took my condom girl out of your sig. :( Oh well.

No "real" encounters, but yeah I believe in them. I don't feel like giving my rationalization of them, though... Too...early.
  3. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

Doubtful.

People just observe strange phenomenon and then instantly peg it to ghosts without further thought. Even if the occurances that lead to said conclusions are real, pegging said occurances to the spiritual and physical bodies of the departed is illogical and not confirmable.
  4. chaleur spectrale flori veştejite

Non-confirmable doesn't always mean illogical. The fact that these people arrive at such conclusions without using logic doesn't mean that a logical train of thought could arrive at the same conclusion.
  5. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

I fail to see any train of thought in regards to the majority of evidence I've seen involving the existence of ghosts.

I had one person claiming that hearing mysterious footsteps in the night could be considered positive, absolute evidence for the existence of spiritual embodiments of the dead.

What reasoning did you use to reach your conclusion, anyway? I imagine it would be better than most of the other rationalizations I've heard to this point.
  6. chaleur spectrale flori veştejite

It might help if you weren't an atheist. As such, is it really very important (to you)?

There is no physical evidence that points to the existence of ghosts, because ghosts aren't physical creatures. Just like G-o-d.

Probably not, since I think about it from a religious perspective.
  7. Codfish Sacrifice Theory

I believe that it's possible. But as of yet no one has been able to pull me much farther from that.
  8. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

It's true that I'm an atheist, but my unwillingness to accept crackpot reasoning has little to do with my religious affiliation.

That's an excuse. I could use that logic to 'prove' just about anything if I wanted.

Whatever.
  9. chaleur spectrale flori veştejite

Have you tried to rationalize it yourself? I would imagine you could come up with something that satisfies you better than anyone else could.

I don't recall using the word 'prove' about anything. Even if I could prove it, what does it matter to anyone? I'm allowed to believe what I want to.

Well? In all probability, it would've fallen under, or at least near, your "crackpot" category. I'm not going to willingly subject myself to that.
  10. Reasonable Addition Wrong Answer

I don't believe in ghosts at all, not in the traditional sense. I do believe that there might be some elements of the aftermath of death, such as in people's memories and the atmosphere of a place due to outrageous events (Think, famous ghosts, for example.) and the psychological responses this may have on a person; this in turns creates the myth of ghosts, but I don't think it's really anything more then that.

As well, the concept of attribution goes a long way to try and explain many things as a way to appease the adversity of things unknown which inspire fear but otherwise cannot be explained rationally.

I used to think that I was haunted by a ghost-seriously. It's a long story, and I won't get into details, but in the end, it turned out that I suffer from nocturnal terrors.

In the past, people used to think that demons, incubi or spirits came to haunt the living in their slumber, when actually they were gripped by brain generated sleep disorders. Centuries later after science had established a cause for these ''demons'', I still came to the same old Middle Ages conclusion-there was a ghost in the place and it bugged me at night.

Until I learned about it, anyway. For the majority of ghost beliefs, I belief that misinterpretation is a major problem.

I don't believe that the dead can live, so to speak, as this defies the logic we've come to grasp of the definition, however I'm still willing to consider their existence. If that makes any sense, lol.
  11. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

I don't try to rationalize the supernatural, because it is, almost by definition, unprovable.

You implied that their not being physical exempted you from providing evidence for their existence.

If I said I was a billionaire, would you believe me without evidence?

I can, too. I believe I'm a dog. I'm the reincarnation of a legendary Dog General that fought in the Great Cat War of 1567.

Win.

Okay.

Seriously though, as much as I mock you, I'm still interested in how you came to your conclusions. I used to be fairly spiritual myself, until I began to realize that the Universe is governed by laws that are completely and utterly unwavering. The laws of the Universe are in principal chaotic, and every effect needs to have some type of cause.

I do not believe in ghosts because I cannot think of a viable cause that would permit a human to continue to walk the planet in some type of spiritual form after death. I'm even willing to accept that ghosts are some type of spititual being mimicking humans, but not physical incarnations of them.

I don't like dealing with what can't be proven, though, just because if something can't be backed with evidence, I feel there's no reason to believe it as truth.

But pay me no mind; you're more than free to believe what you wish.
  12. chaleur spectrale flori veştejite

If it seemed like that, then maybe I should've put it into different words. I didn't mean it exempts the need for such evidence, but that such evidence is impossible to find. Ghosts and other things of spirit can't be proven, but they can't exactly be disproven, either.

See the thing is that if you were a billionaire, there would be physical proof, just as now (I'm assuming) there is physical proof that you aren't one. There isn't physical proof that confirms ghosts, but there isn't any physical proof of the opposite, either.

:rolleyes:

Give me one good reason.
  13. Darth Arkas RC-1138

I do, but it seems that my beliefs are founded in simply the supernatural. I've heard stories, and I'm pretty damn sure I'm not alone some nights when I lie awake.

I can't recall anything concrete, but some nights when I can't sleep, I hear things in the house that I'm quite sure aren't any other family members simply up and about taking a leak or whatever. And on the rare occasion, I've been sure that I was being watched or whathaveyou in my room. No hard evidence, nothing. But I felt it, as it were.
    No, no reason to believe me, that's just my exp.
  14. Marcius THEY HACKED...INTO...MY FUCKIN' CAR!

My beliefs are pretty much the dude's from 1408. I WANT to believe...and I WANT this experience to happen to me...something to liven me up--something exciting that'll bring me out of this monotonous, mundane life! Until then...I'm VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY skeptical.
  15. Lanza Well-Known Member

Ghosts? There's no evidence... not for me, anyway. Atmospheric readings and someone's word desperately seeking ratings on some TV show doesn't exactly get me sated on anything. The only way that I would believe in ghosts or other quintessential beings existing is if I could see one/audibly (or telepathically) speak to one, which isn't going to happen, considering they actually don't exist.

That's just my shilling on the matter, however!
  16. The Liztress Poison Pink

I believe in ghosts. I think sometimes people will themselves to "see" a ghost or "hear" something, though. As for experiences, I've had a few. One time, when a relative was staying over, we were talking in the living room and the TV was off. I glanced at the TV and, you know how there is a reflection on a TV screen, I saw what appeared to be a little girl sitting on the sofa. Now mind you, Iat first I figured it was my eyes or maybe the light reflecting off at an angle, but when I looked over to the couch I could see the indent of someone sitting there. And I know no one had sat there all day. Of course, I know it might have a logical reason but until the day I'm told about that, I believe what I saw. Another instance, the house I live at now is my boyfriend's family. One night, I woke up and saw a tall (about 6 ft.) aura of a person standing in front of my bed. And likewise, I'm sure there is a logical reason behind it, but regardless, I believe in ghosts.
  17. Lithium <font color="hotpink">Writing On The Walls and Fir

I don't like the word ghost to discribe it. It amuses me for some reason, but it's not what I call it. Anyway.

Anyway: Obviously, I do. As well as many other things. Sometimes it's hard to define reality from everything else, so I shall not try and give an examples or proof. Truth is all that matters, if people believe you or not. Somethings, you just know.
  18. Reasonable Addition Wrong Answer

I'm certainly not wanting to insult you, or your beliefs, and am not doubting your word...they say that there are much more things up in Heaven then we can imagine here on Earth...or some such snarky philosophical comment probably said by some famous guy...

...but the little girl thing is really starting to get old, and has also established itself as cliché used by entertaining mediums to present a seemingly authentic haunting element-that and I don't know how many people have told me about stories of little girls staring through their window in the dead of night.
    Ack.

There must be something about it though. Is the idea of a young child more appealing as a phantom because as ruined innocence, it makes for a more ''plausible'' reason as to why it would still roam the Earth?

I'm thinking that little girls are just freaky then, as I'm also guessing that God would take back one who hasn't seen enough of the world to yet hate it-depending on the circumstances of course. But such ideas is how I believe that we have pretty much given ghosts their own shape, weather they exist or not, in a traditional sense or not, and I don't know what people get out of telling stories from shit they see on TV or in games?

Now then TheLiztress, I'm not saying you're lying; if you swear it's true, then I believe you-but it DID remind me of this little issue, which in my conviction that nothing cool exists, might also go too far to dismiss everything. So don't mind me. :)

Sorry-just random.
  19. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

I hate how 90% of the objective evidence for ghosts comes from antecdotal stories and the other 10% comes from blurry photos, hoaxes, and hype. The majority of antecdotal evidence isn't even compelling for being a ghost; mostly it's just someone seeing a figure in the night alone that looks kinda like it might represent a human being.

Not that I don't believe in an afterlife, I just don't think we're going to spend said afterlife on Earth, in the form of magic spiritual beings.
  20. The Liztress Poison Pink

It's alright. I understand what you're saying. It does seem as old as dirt. Besides, I actually don't mind if someone doesn't believe it. They can help me find plausible reasons to debunk it. And honestly, I rather believe something because I haven't found anything to prove otherwise than to be ignorantly faithful in something I'm too lazy to prove. In most cases though, while I believe in spirits and such, I don't think they just hang around, waiting for someone to spook. I think if there is a strong emotion that is left behind when someone passes away, they might come back to visit, so to say. Or maybe, it's just wishingful thinking on the family's part. I wouldn't mind my mom coming from "beyond the grave" to visit me... Comes back to wishful thinking though.
    1 people like this.