games that surprised you

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Venom, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Venom Well-Known Member

This can go either way...basically, what are some games that you didn't expect to be very good, but when you played them you really liked them? And, conversely, are there any that you thought would be awesome, only to be disappointed?

The reason I thought of this was Halo 3: ODST. I'm not very far into it but I'm really enjoying it so far, which I find strange because I really did not like Halo 3. At all. I enjoyed the first Halo, and Halo 2 was alright, but I just did not like 3. The only reason I even bought ODST was because it was like $5 and I thought if I didn't like it I could probably trade it somewhere else for around the same amount. But I've decided to keep playing it.

Dragon Age II is another. I would have probably liked Dragon Age: Origins on PC, but on consoles it was a mess because the game had to target everything for you, and combat was pretty boring to me too because it consisted of holding the button down while your character just wails on dudes. The combat in DAII isn't really any more exciting since it consists of button mashing, but I find it more enjoyable than fussing with the targeting of the first game, and so I was able to actually get into the game and settle into the story easier than I could with the first game since I wasn't so put off by the initial combat sections. Now I've been playing it for a few hours and haven't even progressed the main storyline because there's just so much to do.

As far as games that didn't live up to my expectations, Silent Hill: Homecoming is foremost in my mind even though it's been a couple of years since I played it. I didn't really like SH4 but because I loved the first 3 I still wanted to give the series a chance, and I really thought a next-gen SH game would be totally awesome. But after playing a while I was so annoyed with the twitchy combat and total lack of anything interesting going on to draw me in that I just gave up on it. I'm sure I'll still give Downpour a chance, but I'm going in with severly lowered expectations.

I'll probably think of more later, I just wanted to kick things off.
  2. Tentei No Mai Bitch Pudding!

I can name several, but my current one is Phantasy Star Portable 2. I went in thinking that I would hate its guts because it still wasn't PSO and I just...did not not detest Universe, but just one hour into it I became a firm believer. Suddenly, farming for meseta was fun again and story mode feels way more involved than PSO ever did (well, if you take cake away Card Revolution or whatever on the GC). I was also pleasantly surprised by the characters, because I was pretty sure I was suppose to rage at Emilia, but instead, began to actually like her...which is just one example. Oh, and even though I miss PSO's combat style I really do enjoy Portable 2's-it's uber easy to customize your fighting styles and the Vanguard class is really good.
  3. Tentei No Mai Bitch Pudding!

Parasite Eve 3 (lol, I almost said Parasite Evil) surprised me...but in a bad way. I mean, I know that the series isn't known for 60 hour gameplay, but I seriously disappointed by the length and depth of PE3. At least when I beat the first PE (albeit taking me 20 hours. Leveling Whore I am) there was still that Crysler -sp?- Tower to complete. All we get in PE3 are dumb cheat codes, dumb weapons, and dumb dresses. Sure, I get Aya's appeal to those that enjoy women, but come ON! IS IT REALLY NECESSARY TO FOCUS ON CRAP LIKE SEXY OUTFIT ARMOR, SHOWER SCENES, AND MALFUNCTIONING CLOTHING?

Jesus, even the storyline pissed me off. I don't want to spoil, but let's just say shit will never make sense...regardless of playing the series or being a first timer. And even though I understand why Aya Brea had a shift in personality...it still irritated me of how much of a downgrade she was from PE1 and PE2. I expected confidence, not terror, dammit! Plus, where are my spells? The gameplay isn't bad at all, especially for someone that sucks at shooters (well, y'know, Halo or Splinter Cell stuff) and I did enjoy it...but only being able to pick two out of four weapons, a dumb limit break instead of extra kills, and a trippy DNA board makes for some...shady action. I didn't think I'd be disappointed with PE3 which is why I'm surprised >__>.
  4. Nazo Moderator

Off the top of my head.

Halo 3: ODST was fucking GRAND.
    All the Tales games. Even if they are all alike, they deliver fun and entertainment.
    I was most impressed by Borderlands.
    Assassin's Creed games since I never thought I'd be into that type of game play.
    Halo: Combat Evolved.
    Crysis
    DDR was surprisingly fun back in my DDR days.
    Mass Effect