Forums Have Died, Things are Dead, What the Hell - Why Not?

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Overdrive, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Overdrive New Member

Alright so many things have happened since I came and went and so on so forth, such as me having heart surgery on June 10th and so on as well as a forum I was very tight with being sold and shut down down because they weren't selling enough (I was working for them - it was a 'paid forum posting' type job) called "Kickstart Your Forums" in which meant a lot, and some other things as well.

I also write now for Twin Galaxies - TG is basically the Guiness Book of World Records for Video Game Scores. I've written articles, covered E3, and written reviews as well. I'm on two other forums as well, a writers forum which is quite active, and a paid forum posting like Kickstart, but I don't know if I'll last there as things seem too "overly professional" or I guess you can say, "overly strict".

I also received numerous, "Popup of Death! We Miss You!" emails which didn't have an effect on me returning by the way - so don't think that was why. It's just because the reasons were that the forums that I attended were dying, dead, inactive, or simply the topics were overly repetitive and all over the place (Gaia Online can be like that...) Now I have no clue how this forum has changed other than the fact that I do in fact like the new layout and colours, and the text size and colour as well - that I will give you for start, but we'll have to see how this goes.
  2. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

HOLY SHIT! A PERSON!
  3. Venom Well-Known Member

Person? Isn't that one of those things the old legends tell that this place used to have? I thought it was just a myth!
  4. PKT Forever /a/lone

Lol, I remember running a forum with Popup that had like 13 or so members. He forgot about that though. And considering I convinced him to get his username changed from popup of doom to popup of death it's even funnier. Kinda sad seeing that it's really been 5 years already. Either way, I'd be willing to help get this place back up if you guys want me to.
  5. Overdrive New Member

Alright you guys want to get this place back in working order I take it...

I'll tell you this much - I've changed a lot, I'm still the same person from Winnipeg and whatever, but if you want to pick up the forum in more of a positive aspect, I strongly suggest you do a few things:

1. Reset the board to a fresh start. Once you reset the board:
    • Quit with all the negative crap like with the negative bull like for instance in this thread you have tags that I can see right in front of me "dead, died, forums, hell, things". Yes, threads are going to be about subjects of the sort, but having constant rants about the forum being dead is going to turn people away - so no wonder why people aren't here.
    • Personal Suggestion: Get rid of "Under the Marquee" until at least the community builds back up. Having only a few members talk about that few people makes no sense. That's like talking about yourself - to yourself.
    • Personal Suggestion: Blend Television, Movies, Animation and Other Media into one forum with a title such as (example) simply Entertainment and the Media.
    • Wait until the forum builds up until you have a good sized community to have appartments - you're only going to have a few posts in each "appartment" so it's only making the forum look larger.
    • IF there's a way to get rid of the inactive members as I can see you have over 2000 members, get rid of the miniscule members. It just shows that people join and leave, or you allow bots to join.
    • Move the Random Album Picture to a separate page entirely.
  6. PKT Forever /a/lone

I think archiving things less would help too. Seeing all of the best things people remember archived is a bit of a turn off. Starting things fresh might be a bit of a stretch but with the image of a dead/dying forum in people's mind it'll be harder to get things going. You already have tons of people that know of this place. The next thing would be to fix things then trying to get people back here by contacting them in anyway possible. And keep in contact with them. Forums should feel like a community.
  7. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

Sure, if you guys want we can start over again.

About backups, though, the only option available seems to be saving a backup to the server. I don't have access to the server, but I could try using that option to see if it works. Obviously it had to be downloading from some kind of backup when everything after May 31 was deleted. I'll note, however, that backup isn't really my forte.

I also want to mention that our server (over which I have no control whatsoever) is complete shit and often crashes randomly for seemingly no reason.

Regardless, for a new board setup, how does this look to you guys:

Wire Forums (name of forum section)
    - Community Board [synthesis of Announcements; Help, Suggestions and Complaints; New Members; and Under the Marquee]
    - General Chat [The Pavilion]
    - Serious Discussions [Train of Thought]
    - Entertainment [synthesis of Gaming; Music; Television, Movies and Animation; Other Media]

Apartment Block
    Left as is. No boards changed, no posts archived.

Archives
    Left as is, with a new section added for all posts currently on the main boards.

That leaves us with four boards total for general discussion. The only board explicitly being removed is The Black Hole; any posts normally put there which aren't too spammy can go into General Chat or the Community Board. The apartments are a separate entity that would remain intact, unless people really want them to go.

That's all I can really think to say. We'll wait a week or so before anything is done. That way Kat and Venom (and anyone else still here) can get their opinion in as well if they so choose.
  8. Overdrive New Member

Sure. I just suggest you leave the archives hidden to the general public until they're regular members (at least anyways)
  9. Rainbow Deluxe Duchess of All Things Pretty and Music

Well, I'm not too sure how I feel about archiving everything again considering we just did that, but if you guys think it'll help WF, then I'm for it. I also like the new set-up for the boards as well, considering my apartment is safe. :D Though, I personally think what we should do is under the Community board have the "new members" a sub-board, and just because it tends to get kind of spammy, we can turn off post count for the board. Just an idea, though.
  10. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

lol, to be honest though I don't think it's going to save this place. We haven't got enough members, and a reset is unlikely to change that, unfortunately.

Though I'll still go ahead with it. There's not much to lose at this point.
  11. Rainbow Deluxe Duchess of All Things Pretty and Music

See, I had a feeling you wouldn't think it would help. I'm basically in the same boat, to be honest, but like I said, if it helps, that's awesome, but I doubt it will.
  12. PKT Forever /a/lone

I was thinking either make it seem like the place was getting more of a fresh start one way or another. It has shown that over time if people are on everyday or so then things will pick up again. Old members drop by from time to time. Basically if you build it they will come. I'm pretty sure that you guys can do it. Don't give up especially without a fight. Even if activity is low now it can pick up again.
  13. Overdrive New Member

All I'll throw in on Phlynthe's post is we all (yes including me) have to work on reducing randomness and arguing. I don't know how much it occurs 'now' but when I was here before regularly, it was frequent. And I'd think if people see the reduced randomness / etc, they may stay longer - or perhaps many of the people that were registering were just bots?

So with the configuration, can't you just enable the email confirmation or where you have to punch in the random characters? (I don't know if it's on or not).
  14. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

E-mail confirmation as well as something like a captcha is already enabled IIRC, but we were still getting bots. Eventually I just made it so that all new members got their posts put into the moderation queue, and told them to e-mail or PM me if they were a real person.

So when does everyone want the board renewal to take place? I can do it pretty much any time.
  15. Rainbow Deluxe Duchess of All Things Pretty and Music

I'm pretty open to whenever. -shrug-
  16. Overdrive New Member

I'm up to helping out. Fire when ready.
  17. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

Alright, I'll do it tonight then.