Fate/Destiny

Discussion in 'Train of Thought' started by Rainbow Deluxe, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Rainbow Deluxe Duchess of All Things Pretty and Music

Destiny refers to a predetermined course of events. It may be conceived as a predetermined future, whether in general or of an individual. It is a concept based on the belief that there is a fixed natural order to the universe.

A sense of destiny in its oldest human sense is in the soldier's fatalistic image of the "bullet that has your name on it" or the moment when your number "comes up," or a romance that was "meant to be."

Sourced from Wikipedia

Fate :

1. something that unavoidably befalls a person; fortune; lot: It is always his fate to be left behind.
    2. the universal principle or ultimate agency by which the order of things is presumably prescribed; the decreed cause of events; time: Fate decreed that they would never meet again.
    3. that which is inevitably predetermined; destiny: Death is our ineluctable fate.

It's a term that has been used for thousands of years. Both terms have a similar meaning therefore I have decided to combine both terms into one thread.

It's more than just a term if you think about it. Protestants believe in pre-ordained lives which simply means you are either destined from the time of birth to ascend or fall. Ancient civilizations believed in their fates being decided by Gods or Moirae in Greek mythology, as Parcae in Roman mythology, and Norns in Norse mythology. Even today, there are those who believe their actions are predestined and that their lives follow a schedule.

So my questions to you are as follows :

1. Do you believe in fate/destiny?

And

2. To anyone who says there is a fate/destiny, do you back down? Or do you try challenging your destiny?

A simple test such as you want to turn your head look left, so are you destined to look left or if you think you're challenging fate by looking right, are you actually fated to look right? Sorry if this question confuses.
  2. Tentei No Mai Bitch Pudding!

Hm, interesting question. Well, I do believe a little in fate/destiny. I wouldn't say that whatever led me up to the here and now was all thanks to fate or destiny, though. Mainly because it'll feel as though I've done NOTHING whatsoever other than just...follow the arrows, which is ridiculous and kind of insulting to me. I've made it to this point (as in, stuff like graduating from college, trying to earn a living, that kind of thing) not because of some predetermined molestation of my life's path, but because I worked for it, because of the support of those that care for me, and so on. Okay, maybe that's a tad dramatic. Anyway, I feel that there are some things that was fated to be...a few events here and there, and those events vary from person to person. Sometimes, you wouldn't even know if fate/destiny had anything to do with it >_>;. Well, for me anyway. Like, I have my reasons, but those reasons have an...embarrassing edge to them, so I won't say anything of it. Still, um...anyway

I guess the tl;dr version of this is: I believe in fate/destiny, but not to the extent that my entire life is based on it.
  3. Overdose Delusion So strange what love does.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel regarding the concept of fate/destiny, to be honest. I'm inclined to say that I believe it's a mixture of both; while there are some aspects that are pre-determined (ex. such as the fact we will die one day), I think that in a lot of ways we are also in control of our own lives and destiny. The actions we make in the present help shape our future.

Then again, it's not something I'm entirely decided on. It's something I could easily see changing my stance on as I grow older, experience more of life, etc.
  4. PKT Forever /a/lone

All the time there are things which I don't want to happen to me. I don't want to think that it's my destiny to have to go through bullshit just to make it through life. Especially when it comes to love. If trying hard will never get me anywhere then I don't want love.