Does unconditional love exist?

Discussion in 'Train of Thought' started by Rainbow Deluxe, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Rainbow Deluxe Duchess of All Things Pretty and Music

Is there a thing such as unconditional love - loving someone for no reason, or is love only based on lust such as physical appearence, or a little deeper like based on personality?

Unconditional love, in my opinion, can happen, but not as often. You can always tell someone you love them, because at that moment, you might. But how do you know a week down the road? A month? A year? You hope you still love them, but it isn't something you can always tell.

For me, unconditional love is more towards family and some friends and pets. But unconditionally loving someone you're in a relationship with? I don't know if that's possible, based on what I believe.
  2. Overdose Delusion So strange what love does.

Hm.

I'd say I believe that true, unconditional love in romantic relationships DOES exist; it's just uncommon and hard to find. I do think a good percentage of relationships are based on lust; not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that, people should be allowed to enter relationships for whatever reason they wish. However, for me personally, relationships are about love moreso than anything else.

I definitely believe that unconditional love exists in other forms, too; such as the love a parent has for their child, or a person for their pet.
  3. Tentei No Mai Bitch Pudding!

Well, yeah, good question! Well, unconditional love definitely exists, but it's not an easy thing to acquire. At least, that's how I feel, since I believe that kind of thing comes in different flavors. Unconditional love towards...say, parents is usually possible. I mean, as much as my mother and father pisses me off I will ALWAYS love them (and my mother had done some serious crap in the past, too so I'm sure it's unconditional). My sister? Eh, as much as I don't want to say it...I'll always love that bitch -__-;. She's my only sister and even though we're exact opposites of each other my sister had always helped me out in her own little...retarded...prissy...skanky...ways *rages a little*. Oh, of course, my little brother will always have my unconditional love. He's my favorite family member ever -__o;. As for my dogs? Okay, I'm probably lying when I say that my brother is my favorite family member ever, because Poncho, Kaoru, and Nikki are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucking adorable, cute, and precious, and I will love them forever and ever and fucking ever. I'm pretty sure that I can't honestly say I unconditionally love my older brother, but I won't get into it. Outside of my immediate family...eh, either I love them or I don't, so maybe it's safe to say there's some unconditionality there...lol, I'm making up words.

Hmm, outside of family? Now, that's where things get tricky...since I have a ranking system for comrades...all I can say is that if you're Rank 3 or better you really don't have to worry about the unconditional love status. At least, I'm somewhat sure of that. And as for mai haanii? Well, I don't know about unconditional love in relationships since I hardly been in any (I refuse to use my comrades' experiences to help me seek an answer, though), but I think it might be possible. I'm constantly finding things that I love/annoy about mai haanii, so...hmm.

Long story short: I think it's possible, but that depends on the nature of the relationship!
  4. FooAnna Member

i disagree i think it can happen, because you see it all the time, old people after their loved one has passed away they still love them and to me that is unconditional love, and to me your first true love is unconditional love because you will always love them, love is not a feeling that just goes away, people try to claim it and act like the feelings arent there after they have parted from their true love, but its all lies, the feelings are there because when you think how that person is doing after 10 years of being apart we all get that feeling of love, where the heart somewhat races, and then most automatically attempt to put those thoughts aside and focus on the future, but again like i said the feelings are still there.
  5. Nazo Moderator

Unconditional love?

Does love have limits? It doesn't matter what a person does to you, no matter how horrible, you cannot deny the soul fact that somewhere in a person's heart, they still have some emotional feeling towards them. The reason for this is... Well, for example: Say a woman knows a guy and she's married to him for 5 or more years, or even less. Then one day the guy just starts to be a total douche. Woman says she wants a divorce and doesn't love him anymore.

That woman still has love for that person. Why? Mostly what keeps a person loving someone even after the most horrible acts, is the thoughts of when that person was good. This is also what keeps people loving someone even after death, like Anna said above. However that is not exactly "unconditional" in my opinion. More like, unlimited.

As for actual unconditional love, I'm not too sure. A condition is kinda like a reasoning, and we've ALL heard the saying "There's a reason for everything."

Yup... There's a reason for everything, but if that is so, then love can have it's limits... But what its limit is we'll never know, because when it comes down to it, answering this question correctly is impossible.
  6. Dexter Tea Time

It does exist. I love my little sister without conditions. I don't need her to believe in something or act in accordance to my rules in order for me to love her. I love her for who she is, and even if she changes, it'll still be her. People changing doesn't mean they're not themselves anymore.
  7. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

Of course, but it's mostly seen among family members. There are a good deal of mothers who absolutely will love their children no matter what, for example, even if those children become the worst of people that love may remain.

Unconditional romantic love is a different beast. Statistically it almost certainly exists somewhere, but I can't really say more than that.
  8. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

Of course, but it's mostly seen among family members. There are a good deal of mothers who absolutely will love their children no matter what, for example, even if those children become the worst of people that love may remain.

Unconditional romantic love is a different beast. Statistically it almost certainly exists somewhere, but I can't really say more than that.

EDIT: There are also, of course, things like agape -- by definition an unconditional, divine, self-sacrificing, volitional love -- which is said to be the love that many Christians feel towards Jesus Christ. Don't have any personal insight there, but certainly there are those who wholeheartedly adhere to it.
  9. Namakubi Someday, one day, who knows? Someday I suppose...

Yes, but.. I haven't found it in a relationship. What seemed like unconditional love wasn't.. as far as relationships, the only way to tell is time.

As for family and good friends, it's more common and easier to tell.
  10. PKT Forever /a/lone

Most definitely, although it mostly has to do with loving someone for some reason more so than wanting to be with someone or something like that. There are many people I love as though they were family which aren't. There's a point where a person has to let go though. I mean you can still love someone and not be with them.
  11. Nazo Moderator

The love remains because of the person's ideas and memories of what they used to be, or what the person wants the other person(the one that's horrible) to be and believe they can change into. Mostly wishful thinking.

No, it doesn't.

There is always SOMETHING a person says, that drives a person's heart into loving them. It's usually something extremely small. And usually what was so small and sprang love is usually forgotten and in those terms are usually mistaken for "Unconditional Love." When really the reason you fell in love lies deep within your subconscious, and you now(in later years) love that person for what/who they are now. If a person thinks for even a second they love someone just be looking at them, (The first time I saw him/her I knew...) it's retarded. That's not love, it's quick infatuation towards physicality.

I like how no one read my post.

To think something unconditional can persist is illogical. EVERYTHING has it's reasons and it's conditions.
  12. PKT Forever /a/lone

I read your post. And to that I'll say that your argument is valid. While you still may love someone your reason for loving them can change. The people I've fallen in love with have been after I got to know them and I still love them even though often my feelings went unreturned. I may be a fool when it comes to something like that though.
  13. HuneyTheBun New Member

I have to head out now so I didn't read the rest of the thread but I did read the initial post and I'll respond to that. I've been in a lot of relationships, I can say I loved the girls in these relationships but was it unconditional? No, no it wasn't. Does that mean its non-existant? Nope. As stated in the first post I unconditionally love my family, and my two pets, that's a given, but what of my current girl? Surely I hate to imagine myself without her. But I was just fine without her as well. I'm certainly better off with her in my life but unconditional love seems like a tag you'd put on something that you just cant imagine yourself without, like my sister for instance. Cant imagine life without her. Now Alexis? At this point I know I would fall to pieces without her but I would survive, I doubt I could make it without my sister. As for pets, that's a different unconditional love in that I know I'll be fine without them, but life will be so strange and weird without Maestro and Sheebah.

I'm rambling now and not making a whole lot of sense but I'll end it just falling short of believing in it in relationships.