Death Penalty

Discussion in 'Train of Thought' started by Legend Saber, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

What's your opinion on the death penalty?

I'm for it in theory, but against it in practice. That might sound weird, but let me explain: I think that anyone who is willing to take the life of another doesn't deserve to have a life themselves. This goes for all murderers, but especially for those mass murderers and serial killers who take the lives of several victims without mercy.

In practice, however, our justice system is anything but perfect, and unfortunately, I don't think that taking the lives of murderers is worth taking the life of even a single innocent person. And that's why I think it's an imperfect form of punishment; if even a single innocent person has died because of the death penalty, it is a failed system and should be abolished.

And those are pretty much my condensed thoughts on the topic. What are yours?
  2. Tentei No Mai Bitch Pudding!

Hm...even though I have an optimistic stance on humanity or whatever...yeah, I'm totally for the death penalty. Of course, I still think it's unfair to have power over one's life, but there are potentially valid reasons for it to happen (like abortions or assisted suicide, but even those scenarios have to be examined if you're looking for justification). I feel that if you can commit heinous crimes without remorse and refuse to even own up to them when caught...well, instead of wasting resources to keep you alive in a prison maybe we should just do you in. That logic may be flawed, but that's what I'm thinking. Like, for instance there's this teacher in China who had violated over 20 students (like elementary aged students) and he's totally getting put to death. Now, some people would think that it's a bit excessive from a objective stance (well, it's not like he murdered them afterwards, right?) and wouldn't be wrong for thinking that...but personally, I think it serves him right. Oh, here's the link if you're wondering about the details News Source. Of course, maybe death for him isn't enough (well, in that case, just put him in with the normal prisoners who find his kind to be detestable...he won't last long >_>;), but considering the physical and psychological damage he mercilessly inflicted on those girls...he just couldn't get away with it. Then again, if we were to sentence rapists to death...the survival rate for those victims will plummet faster than our economy. Oh...I think I'm rambling a little, so I'll cut it short. I'm fine with the death penalty as long as it isn't abused or used improperly >_>.
  3. Rainbow Deluxe Duchess of All Things Pretty and Music

I've never really liked the death penalty. I mean, sure, if the prisoner doesn't show any remorse for what he's done and admits that he was in the right, then he should be put to death. But as David put it, the system is flawed. I don't particularly like the fact that an innocent person might be put to death because he was found guilty on a crime he didn't commit. It isn't fair, which is why I always said I never could be a defense lawyer, because I could never defend someone who was guilty.
  4. Nazo Moderator

I say it's fair, mainly because, I'm the type that goes after revenge. But in actuality... A life for a life isn't an equal exchange.
  5. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

I definitely agree with that. Murder isn't the only crime worthy of death, to be sure.

But my main concern is with innocent people who are accused and convicted of a crime they didn't commit. You can take people out of prison and compensate them, but you can't revive them after they've been murdered.