Can people change?

Discussion in 'Train of Thought' started by Rainbow Deluxe, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Rainbow Deluxe Duchess of All Things Pretty and Music

Is it possible that a person can change his personality? You see it all the time: in comics, anime, films, books, etc., people who were once bad, scrupulous and apathetic change into empathetic, human-loving persons.

This sounds all beautiful but is this, in reality, possible?
  2. Overdose Delusion So strange what love does.

I think that if a person has a serious desire and determination to change, then yes, it is possible. I also think that aside from being determined, there are other factors which can cause dramatic change in a person as well: major life-changing events, etc.

I do believe that it takes a lot to seriously change oneself, though, and it is probably true that a lot of people are too apathetic or too much of a dirtbag to make the effort required. That's not to say it doesn't happen, though.
  3. Zackapple Express khdahahfdiahkai fka

I don't believe so. My friend once told me how different I was on the outside from when we first met, but on the inside I was still that same punk kid he used to pick on.

No matter how much, how hard a person tries, he/she will never be able to change who they are. Maybe your appearence is changeable, but who you are is what makes you unique. You can never become something your not.
  4. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

You can't completely change yourself overnight, but certainly you can work a little bit at a time. Once you reach a certain age there are probably fundamentals in your personality that you'll always abide by, but certainly you can change if you're truly dedicated.
  5. FooAnna Member

yea its possible just most refuse to do it
  6. Carlo Marx Sunflower Sutra

Easily possible. In fact, I would go as far as saying that it is inevitable. I am not the same exact person that I was 2 months ago, and I am a lot different than I was a few years ago. The changed may be in different aspects of someone personality, and by change, it depends what part of the person you mean, but to answer a question as vague as this, my reply would be, "do you think its possible for someone to resist changing?".
  7. Dexter Tea Time

Of course people can change. I've seen it in many and especially in myself. During the course of your life it is impossible to not change. You never stop changing. You'll never be so close-minded to not accept the changes of the world around you and the transitions it forces you to go through, psychologically.
  8. PKT Forever /a/lone

I've changed a lot although sometimes I start to think I'm the way I was before and that sometimes saddens me. The parts of me that I wanted to hold onto have stayed and the others parts only come back when I'm at my worse.