Beating/Spanking children

Discussion in 'Train of Thought' started by Rainbow Deluxe, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Rainbow Deluxe Duchess of All Things Pretty and Music

Do you believe it's alright to spank children? What about beating them?

For me, I think that you should show a little violence to the kids when they do something wrong, otherwise they won't know that what they did is wrong because they didn't get punished for it. But to utterly beat them senseless until they're lying unconscious on the floor? I feel that that is taking it a bit too far.
  2. Overdose Delusion So strange what love does.

Beating, definitely not.

Spanking, depends. While I certainly don't think it's something that should be used liberally, I do think it is necessary in some situations. Generally, I'd say that spanking should be reserved for cases where all other methods of punishment (grounding, scolding, etc) have failed, or where the act committed by the child was especially bad.
  3. Tentei No Mai Bitch Pudding!

*looks around* Will I get in trouble for responding?

Anyway, okay spankings are freakin' fine by me! Seriously. As for beatings? Define beating? Like, smacking a child across the face with the back of your hand? That kind of thing...then no...but then again...

let me think...as long as the disciplinary action isn't...like, bordering on abuse and is warranted then I'm kind of okay with it. I mean, my mother and aunts were never afraid to reprimand us, but it never bordered on abuse (not until we became teenagers, but even then...yeah). Honestly, I can count the number of times I got my butt whipped, but I remember getting smacked a few times by mother because I said some pretty disrespectful things to her (I was kind of in the wrong, but so was she, but eh, complicated). So, I guess what I should be saying is that I do believe in physical discipline because it keeps children in line (okay, maybe it's really a fear tactic, but still), but it should never be excessive or done out of anger. It should be a form of lesson that the child can learn from, y'know? Yeah...I think that's what I'm trying to get at.
  4. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

I agree with Mai a lot here. It's fine as a fair form of punishment, so long as you keep yourself in line and don't hit out of anger or spite. Definitely don't agree with completely beating a child senseless because of something completely trivial.
  5. Zackapple Express khdahahfdiahkai fka

^Werd. That pretty much sums up what I have to say. Kids are evil. Pure evil. They will do anything, and I mean anything, to piss people off.

Assholes.
  6. Amanda New Member

I prefer negative reinforcement based on taking away privileges and/or objects that are enjoyed by the child over spanking. I believe spanking should be used when all else fails as Paige said or when the child has done something that could cause great harm and/or death to them or other individuals.

Like when I was a kid I never looked before I went into the road. It's amazing I never got run over. My mom would spank the shit out of me for it.
  7. FooAnna Member

fuck yea if the kid is being annoying and wont shut up kick it across the room, no harm done, if a kid lies or contradicts you slap the fuck out of it, itll learn
  8. PKT Forever /a/lone

I remember having things like getting bad grades and what not getting me hit. I felt like because of that I was never good enough. No matter how hard I tried I still had to try harder. The way I live right now is a balance between my dad's strictness to do better no matter what and my mom's leniency. Sometimes I feel like I'm trying too hard and I need a break but then it feel like my dad's words of sticking to it kick in and I keep going even when I'm dead tired. I sort of wish I would have had things differently but I know that I wouldn't be the person I am without it. I hate to say it but everyday I feel more like him. Like I'm living in his shadow trying to out do him and live up to his dreams. As for my mom, I want to be there when she's old and help her out.
  9. Phoenix The Renegade Artist

When I was younger it all depended on the severity of the case as too whether I was hit or not. Something, like sassing back to much, or getting into fight, deserved a hit or two. But my parents never abused me.

Hitting is to be used as a form of dos iplane, not The only form; but another possibility. I look around and a lot of parents either don't care enough to discipline their kids, or are afraid to ;in lue of being sued or arrested. But a lot of children act up because they know their parents won't do anything, So they act up all the time. If you ask me, a lot of people need better discipline. And that includes spanking. Stop over protecting children.
  10. PKT Forever /a/lone

Since I'm an adult now I feel as though kids should be hit even if you don't have a reason. Jk. There's a lot better ways to bring up a kid than hitting them.
  11. Namakubi Someday, one day, who knows? Someday I suppose...

I'm totally against it.