Am I the only one who thinks this swine flu epidemic has been overblown?

Discussion in 'Train of Thought' started by Legend Saber, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Archangel Sabre Well-Known Member

The media has been covering this damn near non-stop for the last week, and the entire Internet seems to be up in arms about it. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, here's the Wikipedia link:
    2009 swine flu outbreak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Look up "swine flu" at Google news, and you get over a hundred million entries:
    swine flu - Google News

I for one think this has been astoundingly overblown, and that the panic caused by this flu is more dangerous than the flu strain itself. Nine people have been confirmed dead so far, nine! And yet judging by the hype you'd swear the populations of the entire first-world were on the brink of collapse.

And what's really funny is that the regular flu has been killing about 400+ per day since this outbreak started. But no one has noticed that because, you know, the flu does that every fucking year.

I understand a little caution about this can be a good thing, but we shouldn't go turning molehills into mountains. There are much more pressing--and dangerous--things we could be spending our time dealing with.
  2. Venom Well-Known Member

You're not the only one. I'm tired of people acting as if it's the worst outbreak in the history of time. No. That would be the T-Virus from Resident Evil. lol.
  3. akugi touch the sky

I don't really hear much about it here, but i did read up a lil on it, sounds like a whole bunch of nothingness. then again, if we're not wasting our time on trivial shit, we're not being true americans.
  4. Rainbow Deluxe Duchess of All Things Pretty and Music

I honestly didn't hear about it until a few days ago when my friend Jensen and I were chatroom hopping on AOL and went into the Atheist room and they did nothing but talk about how scared they were because of it. Then a couple days ago, Jensen got sick and started thinking he had the swine flu (that kid is more paranoid than even me x.x). But, I honestly think every illness that's been coming around lately has been over-blown. West Nile Virus, The Bird Flu, etc. But, that's just me.
  5. PKT Forever /a/lone

Yeah, there are plenty of worse viruses out there. The news reporters have to do something to keep busy though.
  6. Nazo Moderator

Lol swine flu.. Barely anyone has it right now. It's just being over thought about. If there were about... 200 or so cases when the shit came up, instead of like... what? 14 cases? I'd say okay. But this shit is ridiculous. I'd worry about AIDS more than Swine Flu.
  7. PKT Forever /a/lone

Yeah, there are a lot of more serious viruses out there. Heck, Chicken Pox kills more people a year than this.
  8. akugi touch the sky

I concur
  9. Tentei No Mai Bitch Pudding!

Oh, it's way overblown. If anything, it's just making people ridiculously paranoid for no reason whatsoever. In fact, I think it's making some of my relatives a little more racist. I remember when the Bird Flu was all the rage and my uncle was like "get them chinks away from me". Now he's like "get those spics hella outta here" -__-;. Anyway, I just don't think it's nothing to worry so much about since it's not some kind of T-Virus T__T.
  10. The Prince of Persia ~Sand Weilder~

I would have to agree with you all about this. People are going to think they're going to die and make themselves ill with stress. It was like a massive epidemic at my friend's house-hold, it was ridiculous but very funny.